Couples match - how many programs did you rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LolaGene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be going through the couples match and we are applying to radonc + general surgery. Does anyone have advice on how many programs we should shoot to rank after interviews in order to successfully match? So many uncertainties... Driving me crazy!!

Even if you were not of the same specialty combo, your experience would be helpful, especially for other couples :)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I will be going through the couples match and we are applying to radonc + general surgery. Does anyone have advice on how many programs we should shoot to rank after interviews in order to successfully match? So many uncertainties... Driving me crazy!!

Even if you were not of the same specialty combo, your experience would be helpful, especially for other couples :)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I have no specific experience but based on your choices of residencies, the number should be somewhere between "a metric crapton" and "all of them."

And be prepared to have to choose between not matching and not being together. Not that this will necessarily happen to you but you've got to know these are moderately (GS) and extremely (Rad Onc) difficult matches in and of themselves. Adding in the couples matching is going to make things a lot dicier.