Couples Match : PMR & Internal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretestrun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My significant other and I want to do couples match in PMR & Internal, and I was wondering if anyone had experience couples matching in PM&R and how disclosing this information to the programs went. Since there aren't as many programs as internal, I was wondering if that affected anyone as well.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did this many, many years ago (me PM&R, her IM). We were very up front from the beginning about our intentions. Nobody gave us a hard time about it. Informing programs about our couple status helped significantly when it came to scheduling/coordinating interviews. It was kinda nice bringing my partner to some of the pre-interview get-togethers, and watching her hold her own. Couples matching would invariably come up in interviews, and I found it refreshing to talk about it (rather than answer yet another “Why PM&R” question).

You and your SO will need to apply to and interview at a greater number of programs (this includes both PM&R and prelim programs for you) to maximize your chances of matching together. Couples tend to focus their search to major cities – NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia. Luckily, more than a few decent rehab and IM programs to choose from there. There may be other places where your SO can interview at 2-3 IM programs to your one rehab program. Your ROL will be crazy long with all of the different combinations, and there will be lots of communication and compromise between you and your SO along the way.

Don't forget the Texas programs. If you look at Baylor/UT-Houston, they have great IM programs for your SO. If your prefer a smaller PMR, look at the DFW area as well. Then of course look at NYC, NJ, Philly, and Chicago. It is very doable.