Couples match ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brucie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hesitant about couples matching with my girlfriend (she's doing a surgical prelim yr)...the thing is, I am also a girl...we're gay. So you can see how I might be concerned about couples matching. My question is- if we couples match, will the programs know about our significant other or will they just know I am couples matching with someone else in a certain field.

Members don't see this ad.

on eras, it asks you if you're couples matching, and the name of the person you are couples matching with, and the specialties he or she are applying for. you want them to know who you are couples matching with- if someone really wants you, or wants her, they may be able to chat with a PD from the other person's program to get one of you an interview or move you up higher on the ROL. it shouldnt matter that you are gay- you dont have to be a "couple" to couples match. you can couples match with your best friend, your sibling, a classmate who you plan on going into practice with later ... it doesnt matter. there are a set of twins in my class that were gonna couples match. if you're hesitant to announce to a program that you're gay, (and if anyone asks about the person you are matching with- they may not even ask or care), just say you guys are close friends and want to be in the same city. no big deal.

You don't have to tell programs you're couple matching. If in doubt, call the NRMP.

As for the "it shouldn't matter that you're gay," I assume you're not naive enough to think should matter and does matter have any relation. The prior poster is correct that PD's who know about a couple match can help you out - but they can hurt you too. Your call as to which way you think it will go.

clarification. i was just perusing my eras app, and there is a box to check that says "If you are couples matching AND you want programs to know". so you dont have to let them know. if you choose to check the box, then there is a space to type in the persons name and the specialties they are applying to. so to clarify, its up to you whether you want to let them know that you are couples matching or not.

and i stand by my original opinion of letting programs know you are couples matching as a positive thing. chances are, no one will bat an eye at it or even care. but if you get a bad vibe on an interview (a PD asking inappropriate questions, etc) then perhaps thats a good thing- then you know that program may not be a warm and fuzzy place for you, and you may rank them lower, or not at all

raspberry swirl said:
. chances are, no one will bat an eye at it or even care. but if you get a bad vibe on an interview (a PD asking inappropriate questions, etc) then perhaps thats a good thing- then you know that program may not be a warm and fuzzy place for you, and you may rank them lower, or not at all

Maybe this is a regional thing. There are parts of the country where people care. It could clearly influence where you get interview. If you take the attitude that you don't want to go anywhere that sexual orientation is an issue, then perhaps being denied an interview based on your couple match status is a good thing. I don't know that everyone feels that way.