Couples Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsoxdave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody give me some advice as to the couples match. My wife is a second year and I'm a third year with hopes of entering Otolaryngology or Neurosurg. All I keep hearing is with those two residency choices its a long shot to match as a couple. Anybody know differently or experienced this at all?

Members don't see this ad.

are you guys going to be graduating the same year? If you're graduating first, i dont see an issue with this unless your wife is interested in a competitive field too. You'll already know where you matched by the time your wife will be applying, so she can just apply widely to programs in the same place where you will already know you'll be.

IMHO, couples matches are more difficult when one of the partners is less accomplished and is also applying for a competitive specialty. However, this can work in that person's favor as if the program you're applying to *really* wants you, they can put pressure on the other to accept your partner as well, even if they ordinarily wouldn't match there because of their less than stellar application.

You mentioned your wife is a year behind you - are you taking a year off? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you will couples match since you will enter the match, including the advanced match for PGY2 positions in ENT and Neurosurg the year before her.:confused:

ENT and Neurosurg can be competitive matches but unless your wife is also applying in a competitive specialty or is a fair bit less accomplished, it shouldn't be any more difficult than it would already be.

Does anyone know a lot about the couples match that would like to explain a few things....

Say a couple enters the DO match, the guy does not get into any of his choices, but the girl would have matched her first choice- what happens? Would the girl get her first choice and the guy would scramble or enter the allopathic match or would they both be left with no matched :( ?

If anyone has done the couples match and has any advice to offer I would appreciate it!

I'll try to answer as many questions as possible here b/c we really need an FAQ sticky for couples.

What is the couples match?

The couples match is simply a term used when they link 2 people rank lists. Thats it. It gives you some control over a process that is otherwise tough to control. The computers simply take your rank and your partner's rank and if you both match at that rank then you match. If one of you doesn't match then neither of you matches. Notice how I used the term rank and not program. I used that for a reason b/c the computer doesn't know the difference between programs. If your #1 rank was UCSF and your partner's #1 rank was NYU and you both matched at those programs that would be viable match. The computer doesn't know the difference between NY and Cali or any other programs you apply to. All it knows is did you match and did you not match? The bottom line however is that the only way one of you matches is if you both match. If one of you doesn't match, neither matches

The rank list: Depending on how important it is to be together will determine how long a rank list you make. Lets say for example that Bob gets interviews at 10 programs and Anna gets interviews at 10 also. Let's say that 8 of these interviews are at the same place but 2 aren't. There are many ways they can set up a rank list.

1) Only rank programs where they both got interviews - in this case their list is 8 long

2) Only list programs within the same geographic area - lets say Bob and Anna both got interviews to NYU and Columbia. If they agree that this is an acceptable distance for them to be apart, they can rank the different combos. This will add 2 ranks for every 2 programs you do this for. This would be in addition to the 8 programs they common interviews to.

I.E. 1) Bob and Anna both match NYU 2) Bob and Anna both match columbia 3) Bob matches NYU anna matches columbia 4) Anna Matches Columbia bob matches NYU.

I only added 2 ranks to the list b/c bob and anna matching at the same program was already included in the first example. If NYU and Columbia were the only 2 programs close enough for them to be apart, they would have a list that was 10 long.

3) Rank the programs that you have common interviews for first and then rank all the other possible combinations after. Since one of the partners can go unmatched while the other matches, this leads to a list of 120 ranks long.

Skunk: In regards to your question. What happens if you match your #1 and he doesn't match? To prevent you from having to scramble, one of your ranks should be you matching and him going unmatched. This should be toward the end of your list after you've exhausted all the possibilities of both of you matching. If this were to happen, I believe he would be allowed to participate in the allopathic match and you would have your osteopathic spot.

Redsox: ENT and Neurosurg are both tough matches to begin with so being able to match as a couple into the same program complicates things even more. Since both you and her are going through the match at different times you will not have the opportunity to couples match unless you take a year off or reapply after a prelim year.

Also, isn't Neurosurg an Early Match? How would that work with couples matching?

(Just curious...i am couples matching but in def. less competitive fields, but this may be something to think of for them)

So I have a question. Right now (at my school at least) every one is all abuzz about away rotations and I've been told by a number of people (students, interns, attendings) that I should seriously consider doing one. I want to go into peds and I know of a few children's hospitals that I would love to end up at. However, I am couples matching with my boyfriend who wants to do ob. He is not very interested in doing an away rotation but thinks that I should do one if I want to.

My question is, is it really worth the effort and money to do an away at a program that may end up way down our list because the ob program doesn't turn out to be what he wants or may not even offer him an interview?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially those of you who may have been in a similar situation.

Thanks!
McP