couples match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnywalker

pepper needs new shorts
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scenario: couples match. Applying on the east coast (FL to Maine)

How would one person effectively couples match if only one person matches? The one that matches receives the email on March 17th saying that she/he has matched, while the other receives an email on the same day saying that they didnt match. So one has to scramble, but since the first has no idea where he/she matched until after the scramble, how can one scramble effectively and keep the family (with a couple young kids for instance) together ? ? ?

Members don't see this ad.

If it happens that one person matches and the other does not than you can call NRMP on Monday and ask what city the other person matched in so you can plan your scramble accordingly.

Agreed with above...called the NRMP last week to ask this very question as my significant other is doing something more competitive.

As such, at the very bottom of our list, she has re-listed programs from higher up and my corresponding school is "No Match"

You can get the NRMP to release your s/o result in this situation with a phone call.

Hopefully this won't happen to either of us! GOOD LUCK!

Hey guys, just wanted clarity on something. I'm doing a couples match and was wondering about something. We also put several one person matching, the other person not matching combos on the bottom of our rank list, which I understand, are considered "a successful match" in the eyes of the nrmp. If this were to happen to us on Monday, will one of us still get the dreaded "you did not match" email even though theoretically it was a "successful match" b/c it was on our list?

Thanks!

You will get the unmatched email. If so, you can call the NRMP and they will tell you the city of your couples match, so you know how to scramble.