couples matching & scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ga5man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,

i was wondering when you are in a couples match, and one doesnt match, will the unmatched person know where the other has matched? (atleast geographical area if not the exact program). i was wondering if they donot divulge this detail, how does the unmatched person of the pair scramble? greatly appreciate input on this.
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I'm not couples matching but the only way I can see that happening is if one of your rank choices has one of you matching somewhere and the other person not matching at all. Most of my friends who are couples matching didn't even make this an option, choosing instead to match in different places if necessary so they both had a position and both people didn't need to scramble.

As far as an early match person and an NRMP match person couples matching, the early match people find out where they're going before the rank lists are due for the NRMP match.

Last edited:
hmm...the problem stems from the fact that if ranks 15-20 are one person matching only, then its going to be a wild guesswork i presume if they donot tell you. or is that the case at all?
cheers,
ga5man

I find the situation to be quasi similar to ranking a prelim/TY plus an advance program and not matching at one (especially the advanced program) Then you are stuck scrambling for a position without knowing where you actually matched for the advcanced position or vice versa...all around it's just a big pain in the butt

Granted, couples matching is a whole new level of stress that I am thankful I am not having to endure. Good Luck!

I am in the same boat. I was wondering what would happen if I match into an Advanced position, but have to scramble for a prelim.

I called NRMP a few days ago and they told me that I can call and ask the city where I have matched my Advanced program to, so that I can scramble for prelim.

I assume that the OP's question would be no different and that NRMP would probably give you the pertinent info to scramble better. Afterall, there is some degree of common sense in everybody. My 2 cents.

I called NRMP a few days ago and they told me that I can call and ask the city where I have matched my Advanced program to, so that I can scramble for prelim.

If this is true then my neurotic fears of prelim scrambling can be put to rest...

I really thought I'd go for a categorical program but when it came down to it I liked the advance programs in several cities and to top it all off, I didn't accept what I think is an adeqaute amount of prelim/TY interviews to ensure a spot...20/20 hindsight

I hope the prelim/TY spots I went to really really liked me......a lot

also your med school gets this info on the 12th, so you could just ask them

also your med school gets this info on the 12th, so you could just ask them

Only if you don't match prelim but do match categorical. Otherwise the NRMP would have problems with schools telling everyone on the 12th instead of waiting.

AFAIK, nobody has called and asked the NRMP about the couple's match scenario. I didn't rank any that way, so the point is moot to me, but if you really want to know, you should probably ask them. I can't imagine it would be any different than the prelim/advanced issue.

Last edited:
from my school's dean's office:

According to the NRMP, if one of you goes unmatched, they can call the NRMP at 202-828-0566 to find out what city (but not exactly what program) the other person matched in to aid in the scramble process.

I would imagine that for a lot of programs (especially one's in small towns) telling you what city you matched to is tantamount to giving you your match results.

from my school's dean's office:

According to the NRMP, if one of you goes unmatched, they can call the NRMP at 202-828-0566 to find out what city (but not exactly what program) the other person matched in to aid in the scramble process.

I asked our match coordinator person this exact question a couple months ago re. couples match and one person going unmatched. I was told that, yes, if one person doesn't match your school has the ability to tell you where your partner matched so that you can scramble. I hope I got correct info.....

Our dean told us yesterday that if you are couples matching and one doesn't match - the deans office will tell you the city where the person who matched will be... on Monday.
Good luck:luck:

I am couples matching and met a resident on the trail. This scenario happened to her. She couples matched with someone who needed to match in a prelim and advanced program. He did not match into a prelim. Thus on Moday he called NRMP found out they both matched in X city for their advanced. SHe thought this was great since she basically found out where she would be 3 days before most/.