Couples--One Early, One Regular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this work?
I am in the "early match" and my spouse is in the regular match? Is there any way to link this up?
:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

How does this work?
I am in the "early match" and my spouse is in the regular match? Is there any way to link this up?
:scared:

No. If your early match requires a prelim, then you can link the prelim with your couple.

Otherwise, you'll have the early match results before the NRMP ROL deadline, so your spouse will know where you are going. They can then rank accordingly.

I went through this a few years ago, when neuro was still early match. Basically, you both interview in cities where there are multiple programs (i.e. Boston, Chicago, etc.). You then have an honest conversation about where you both want to end up, because you don't want to early match into a city where your spouse has no acceptable options. You then make your early rank list, and wait. Once the early match list comes back, you will be narrowed-down (obviously) to one city. Your partner (and you, if you have to rank a prelim) then make your standard match list, both of you ranking highest all of the acceptable programs in the city in which you ranked early. And there you go. As long as your spouse is not a horrendously poor candidate, things should work out fine.

Honestly, I think this is easier and more transparent than the couples match.