Aug 11, 2015
I'm working on repeating a lower division non-prerequisite science course. The D+ is weighing down my GPA. I'd rather not spend money repeating it, but replacing it with an A will move my sGPA from 3.17 to a 3.25. I'd rather not move 500+ miles back to my undergrad to retake this class.

The original course description (Intro to Human Heredity): Topics in human heredity and human gene structure and function, including the genetic basis of human development, causes of birth defects, mental ******ation, genetic diseases, sexual determination, development, and behavior.

I am hoping to replace with this online course from Nova Southeastern (Basics of Human Heredity): This course examines basic concepts of genetics and their application to human heredity and diversity. Topics covered include structure and function of DNA, genes and chromosomes, the role of genes in heredity, tracing of genetic traits in family trees, and advances in genetic technologies as applied to human medicine. This course is not intended for biology majors.
Learning Outcomes
1. Connect DNA structure to patterns of inheritance in humans using both Mendelian and molecular techniques
2. Explain the ethical, historical, and contemporary issues related to human heredity
3. Explain human diversity and evolution in the context of culture, society, and genes

However, I've taken Genetics as a prerequisite, and I don't want that grade to be replaced because of the similar course description (Genes and Gene Expression): Nucleic acid structure and function; gene expression and its regulation; replication; transcription and translation; transmission genetics; molecular evolution.

I would appreciate someone's insight on whether the Nova course would replace the Intro to Human Heredity when looking at course descriptions. The units of the Nova course are greater than the original. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm working on repeating a lower division non-prerequisite science course. The D+ is weighing down my GPA. I'd rather not spend money repeating it, but replacing it with an A will move my sGPA from 3.17 to a 3.25. I'd rather not move 500+ miles back to my undergrad to retake this class.

The original course description (Intro to Human Heredity): Topics in human heredity and human gene structure and function, including the genetic basis of human development, causes of birth defects, mental ******ation, genetic diseases, sexual determination, development, and behavior.

I am hoping to replace with this online course from Nova Southeastern (Basics of Human Heredity): This course examines basic concepts of genetics and their application to human heredity and diversity. Topics covered include structure and function of DNA, genes and chromosomes, the role of genes in heredity, tracing of genetic traits in family trees, and advances in genetic technologies as applied to human medicine. This course is not intended for biology majors.
Learning Outcomes
1. Connect DNA structure to patterns of inheritance in humans using both Mendelian and molecular techniques
2. Explain the ethical, historical, and contemporary issues related to human heredity
3. Explain human diversity and evolution in the context of culture, society, and genes

However, I've taken Genetics as a prerequisite, and I don't want that grade to be replaced because of the similar course description (Genes and Gene Expression): Nucleic acid structure and function; gene expression and its regulation; replication; transcription and translation; transmission genetics; molecular evolution.

I would appreciate someone's insight on whether the Nova course would replace the Intro to Human Heredity when looking at course descriptions. The units of the Nova course are greater than the original. Thanks!
Aacomas will not look into course description. They will allow the grade replacement based on the title/subject of the course. The only time things like course description come into play is when there is a significant deviation between the course titles/ subjects of the two classes. In all other cases, aacomas will simply allow the grade to replace with no questions asked. You are in the clear, do not worry.