Course Intensity - Does it Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ten_Maz

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Been a lurker for a while but this is my first post. I'm a non-trad MD hopeful. Graduated a couple years back with a Liberal Arts major. I haven't taken any science classes since high school and I know sGPA is a big deal as well as taking the mandatory pre-reqs. I work 8:30 - 5:00 Mon-Fri in a professional career so currently I only really have the availability for night courses. I've heard on here that local university/colleges > Community College in terms of how courses are viewed, but my real question is this: Does course intensity matter? Will me taking 1-2 science courses a semester over the next few years be viewed less favorably than if I were to just commit and take 3-4 classes a semester? Obviously the benefits of taking the night courses are the ability to have a lighter course load while being able to more easily financially support myself. Cons are I draw out the application/pre-med process and perhaps are viewed less favorably. I'd love to hear what y'all have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You ideally want to take as close to a "full-time" courseload as possible if your goal in particular is to demonstrate you can handle the rigor of med school/reinvent a previous low GPA. It's easy to think "well of course this applicant did well now, they were only taking one class". If you don't have a low GPA history to overcome then I think this is less imperative but I do recommend you take 2-3 classes a semester instead of only 1. Balancing a full-time job with your new course load is difficult but I think it will go far to demonstrating your organization/management skills and general suitability for a rigorous and demanding environment (med school).

Since you mentioned you haven't taken any science classes in a long time, you should maybe start out with 1-2 just to test the waters and get a feel for it. I think it would be a bit of a shocking change to plunge immediately into 3-4 classes PLUS work. Then you can decide to add more as necessary.

This all being said, I've also met fellow non-trads who could only do 2 classes a semester due to scheduling conflicts and it worked out fine for them. But don't fret too much about the optics of your schedule; taking classes at all is better than not doing any and not moving forward toward your goal. And above all, make sure to do well. 1-2 classes/semester with A's is infinitely better than 3-4 classes/semester with B's. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The intensity won't matter. Admissions understand that non-trads work full-time jobs and can't just quit work to go to school full time. As long as you can rock the courses while gaining extracurricular activities. I would probably start with 1 class (plus the lab) just to make sure you don't overload yourself. Slowly work in volunteering & shadowing to become competitive. Subsequent semesters you can start adding more if things go well. Yea, it will take longer, but it also gives you time to get everything in order to be a competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
The intensity won't matter. Admissions understand that non-trads work full-time jobs and can't just quit work to go to school full time. As long as you can rock the courses while gaining extracurricular activities. I would probably start with 1 class (plus the lab) just to make sure you don't overload yourself. Slowly work in volunteering & shadowing to become competitive. Subsequent semesters you can start adding more if things go well. Yea, it will take longer, but it also gives you time to get everything in order to be a competitive applicant.
Exactly. You just say you had a full-time job while you did it.

Doesn’t matter, esp if you can get a decent mcat. I did this, it took me 3.5 years to do the coursework while working full time. Took my classes at an extension school that’s not super prestigious bc it was convenient. No one ever asked about it and got into my top school and several others.

yes.

You need to show that you can handle a rigorous curriculum.
Unfortunately, to echo the esteemed @Goro, it does matter. I was given this advice several times. And, unfortunately, doing so is more difficult if one now has family and work obligations. Taking out loans can minimize the need to work, but it may not help with the family obligations. But, then, when one gets into medical school and residency, those very same family obligations may still be there. Just be careful that if you do decide to work and/or take care of amily or aging or sick parents and take a full course load, don't let it ruin your GPA. That is what I allowed to happen to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Both are important, so you should take as many courses as you can handle while maintaining a competitive GPA. However, being full-time, doing volunteering and/or research, while taking 2 courses is sufficient to demonstrate that you can handle med school full-time imo. Maintaining a competitive GPA is the most important though.