Course Load Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Tyler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating this semester and only need to take two more classes and one more lab to cover all the prerequisites for Medical School and graduate. They add up to 7 credits (Biochem - 3 , Physics II - 3, Physics Lab - 1).

Would it be frowned upon if I took only 7 in my final semester? Should I add a few more classes to my schedule in order to increase the difficulty of my final semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the mcat? I would spend the extra time studying for mcat, or maybe volunteer/ shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would look bad, but you should fill up your extra time. You could take a few more interesting classes for fun. If you don't feel like doing that, you could find a job or dedicate more time to your current extracurricular activities. You'll be fine as long as you remain productive and make good use of your additional free time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Sean Tyler You also posted this in the "How does my schedule look?" thread. I responded to your post there, and I disagree strongly that it would look bad.

It will only look bad if you choose to do nothing with the extra 15-20 hours a week you gain by only being a half-time student.

The only reason you might take another 6+ credits is if you have an academic interest that you want to explore before you graduate, or if you need to bring up your GPA. In the latter case, just take two other classes you can get A's in.

But really, it sounds like you don't want to spend the extra $$$ on tuition, which I can relate to. I n that case, as long as you are using the extra 15-20 hours per week fruitfully, then be true to yourself and do what you want.

@Sean Tyler You also posted this in the "How does my schedule look?" thread. I responded to your post there, and I disagree strongly that it would look bad.

It will only look bad if you choose to do nothing with the extra 15-20 hours a week you gain by only being a half-time student.

The only reason you might take another 6+ credits is if you have an academic interest that you want to explore before you graduate, or if you need to bring up your GPA. In the latter case, just take two other classes you can get A's in.

But really, it sounds like you don't want to spend the extra $$$ on tuition, which I can relate to. I n that case, as long as you are using the extra 15-20 hours per week fruitfully, then be true to yourself and do what you want.

Agree with this as well. Just be able to demonstrate that you did something productive with your additional time (i.e., buffing up your extracurriculars in some way might be the most obvious choice, but really anything) and you'll be fine.

If you have free time, load that baby up. Just kidding. Just know your limits, if you need to work or do EC's, limit it a little. But it looks good if it is high, but enjoy school. Also, my school comes with a sheet of what you should take every year. Example would be 6-7 classes for Bio or 15-19 hrs.