• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Course load and full-time school

hafido

15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2002
  1. Dentist
Hi everyone, I am taking my prereq's right now and was hoping that I could quit my job and go to school full-time. I might not be able to do that however, doue to income restraints. I would like to know how many courses other predents take while working fulltime, and how you guys manage to handle it.
Thanks-

init4damoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
If you don't have to work full time, then don't! I speak from a full time worker's perspective. I'm married with two kids, so I pretty much don't have a choice (and wouldn't change my choice to have a family either :D ). Most of my classes are at night. A normal schedule would be work from 8-5, school at night Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the rest of the nights doing general ed classes online and studying for the sciences. I'm telling you, it's hard to do it, but I haven't kicked the bucket yet. It's making the road to dentistry a little bit longer, but I wouldn't change anything to make it shorter. One or two years is nothing compared to the next thirty. I've made the mistake of overloading and getting swamped with work. More classes means more work, which can produce lower grades. Believe me, I know. So just get a good schedule that will allow you to go to school full time, and not get burnt out.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.