Course load for non-trads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking 2-3 classes a semester as a non-trad student. I also work 60-70+ hours per week between two jobs and am working on ECs (currently online volunteering at a mental health chat service and the Red Cross, and doing whatever virtual shadowing I can find). I am a software engineer and also teach the subject part-time; does this help prove that I'm mentally capable of doing the job? It's not an option for me to quit working right now.

If I'm going to be wasting my time doing it slowly right now, I'd rather just save up for a few years to do everything full-time with a heavier course load. But if it's a marginal difference, I'd rather not put off my chosen career for more needless years.

Is it going to be held against me if I do my pre-reqs at a CC in this fashion, then spend another year or so full-time at my state's flagship school? What else goes into this calculation?

EDIT: So far I am performing pretty well with a ~3.8 after two semesters like this in case that factors in (with 2/3 of the classes that are going to challenge me most now out of the way).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ad coms will understand that your financial situation and work requirements limited how many hours you could take per semester. However, they may question the rigor of pre-reqs taken at a CC rather than your state’s flagship school.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, the state school doesn't allow transient students except over summer. I'm doing a post-bacc and they require most of the pre-reqs to be done prior to admission. :(