Course load in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've already asked about this once in the DO forum, but i want to get an answer as it pertains to podiatry school.

Do podiatry schools care about undergrad course load? Although I'm reasonably happy with my stats (below), I haven't exactly demonstrated an extremely difficult course loads throughout undergrad. The things I am most concerned about are the facts that during my post-bacc, although I completed it with a 4.0, I didn't really do a whole lot besides school. I didn't have a job, and I only shadowed for a few months toward the end. Now that I have completed my post-bacc I am focusing on the mcat and nothing else. Is this lack of extracurriculars going to look bad to pod schools?

My stats are 3.17 sGPA, 3.41 cGPA, and I'm expecting between a 25-30 when I take the MCAT next month. I have several hundred volunteering and shadowing hours (including with a pod), decent LORs (as far as I know), and a very strong upward trend.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent, thank you for the response! Does anyone else have any input?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey dmshain fellow pod applicant here, like you my GPA is great but my semester credits are spread out all over the place (like 8-9 credits a semester for 5 out of my 9 semesters taken). However, reason why is that I had to work a lot to support family. I asked one of the counselors at a pod school and he said this:

"Credits per semester is something that can be explained by all the work experience you’ll eventually put in your application."

not sure if you have scenario like this but it would help and be understandable. If anything having a good GPA and decent MCAT trumps a below average GPA with a full courseload. Try calling the admissions office next week and see what they say. I know Temple doesn't mind as long you are doing well GPA/MCAT wise (I think they hand out scholarships based on GPA/MCAT combination)

good luck on the mcat in jan (still waiting for a spot to open up locally, otherwise I have to fly to the next state)

If you get your MCAT goal, you'll be fine for most (most likely all) schools. They probably don't care what your course load looks like at all. That being said, if you are planning on taking your MCAT in a month, and applying this cycle, you will have a tougher time getting into the smaller schools. If you're looking at applying next cycle, you'll be golden.

anybody know if CSPM, Western, NYpod, and temple take a lot of applicants/interviews in mid Jan/Feb? Would Scholl and Barry be considered the more smaller schools.