Course load question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studlyguy87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think taking 8 courses per year (ie. 4 per semester) is a bad idea? Would this be frowned upon?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it truly depends on the courses themselves. say you only have four courses per semester, but three of them are science courses... that's a heavy load - -so looks good. but say you have four courses and one is science and three are gen eds or something... not so heavy. heavy course load is kind of a relative term. it is moreso directed toward the amount of science you took per semester, not just number of courses overall per semester.

totally agree with what RAK1987 said.
personally, i did 2 science courses per semester and got a few interviews and no one mentioned about the courseload during my interviews... this semester i'm doing 3 because i only have 1 lab science course (the ones i took before were all lecture+lab courses) so yea it would definitely depend on what courses you are taking...
try to do 2-3 science courses with 2-1 gen ed/elective and i think you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think taking 8 courses per year (ie. 4 per semester) is a bad idea? Would this be frowned upon?

Thanks
Just keep in mind that admission's committee members are looking for individuals who demonstrate the ability to complete their dental school training successfully. I am currently a D1 and for fall semester we have 8 courses and our spring semester has 13 on the schedule. You should consider how heavy of a course load you can handle and still accumulate a stellar GPA. That said, I don't know if this would be singled out as a reason to decline an applicant.

I honestly don't think it matters if they are science or non-science. There are some damn difficult non-science courses, and there are pre-reqs that you can ace with maybe a total 10 hours of work (including going to class) throughout an entire semester.

That aside, I've always taken as many credits as possible to get my money's worth. At my school you pay the same amount in tuition whether you take 12 credits or 20 credits. I feel it's better to take advantage of that; just my opinion.

Thanks

Depends on the school and the courses actually...Usually, the more science+labs you take per semester, the harder......At my school, kids are taking 20-21 credits no problem...(Bio majors)

HOWEVER, when I see that in their orgo1 class, they are ending the semester on chapter 5 !!! :eek:........So, yeah----depends on school...

Dental committees will like to see that you can handle a good load (16+) since D1 you'll have like 20+ cr. hours...But do so, @ your ability...Don't do it if you're gonna make like B's and C's......Strive for those A's.....and B's every once and awhile, and the committee will be more impressed...