Course load when working more than FT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reposting from MD forum as it didn't get much attention there.

I'm currently taking 2-3 classes a semester as a non-trad student. I also work 60-70+ hours per week between two jobs and am working on ECs (currently online volunteering at a mental health chat service and the Red Cross, and doing whatever virtual shadowing I can find). I am a software engineer and also teach the subject part-time; does this help prove that I'm mentally capable of doing the job? It's not an option for me to quit working right now.

If I'm going to be wasting my time doing it slowly right now, I'd rather just save up for a few years to do everything full-time with a heavier course load. But if it's a marginal difference, I'd rather not put off my chosen career for more needless years.

So far I am performing pretty well with a ~3.8 after two semesters like this in case that factors in (with 2/3 of the classes that are going to challenge me most now out of the way).

Is it going to be held against me if I do my pre-reqs at a CC in this fashion, then spend another year or so full-time at my state's flagship school? What else goes into this calculation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on what I've read here, I think you are fine taking 2-3 classes while working full time and doing ECs. Sounds like a lot to me, and being able to do it with a 3.8+ is pretty good! Are you doing all your pre-reqs at CC? If you're going to take the upper level bio and chem courses at a state school, I think that's better than CC, but it probably doesn't matter too much

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I have to do all the pre-reqs at the CC; my state uni will not take transient or non degree students except for online classes over the summer. I will be taking biochem + microbio + upper elective bio/chem/Microbio classes at the state school though.

I'm not sure how you are paying for school, but you can register as a degree seeking student even if you don't intend to complete the degree. I'm assuming you already have a bachelors, and that you only need to take the prereqs for med school.

Also, degree seeking students get priority in registering for classes which is very helpful in making your schedule work out.

@swimwreck Thanks for the advice.

The school doesn't have space for second BS students apparently, and only allows them in for a few majors, after completion of all required transfer prerequisites. I'm sort of lucky in that it's a really good school with a decently ranked med school attached, but also unlucky that they're so ill-accommodating of career changers. I can't relocate to another uni to do courses there either because I've got a house here.

My plan is basically to finish up chem 2, orgo 1-2, and physics 2 (required transfer prereqs as well as med school prereqs >.<) then transfer as a degree seeking student. I'll have 2 semesters at the state school under my belt prior to my first cycle, and if I don't get in I'll just continue taking classes FT and finish the degree for the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user