Course Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just registered for my classes for the fall semester. Next semester I will be a sophomore. My question is, will taking 14 credit hours seem like a light load? I've taken 16 credit hrs. regularly for the fall and winter semsters. This fall I'm taking:

Physics 1 + lab (quiz section included)
Organic 2 + lab (quiz section included)
Calculus 3

I want to show to ad comms that I can handle a high course load but I'm not sure about adding another course making it 17-18 credit hrs. I'm just worried that I won't have enough time and the extra class will only bring added stress. The extra class I'm thinking of taking is a general education class. All responses are welcome.
(P.S. Quiz sections are an extra class built into lectures to help students understand concepts and to administer quizes. They are taught by a TA.)

Members don't see this ad.

i find it so funny how people on this forum get worked up about taking a bunch of classes at once. you pretty much HAD to do that where i went. i guess if you're paying private school tuition, there's no point in going an extra year/semester. anyway, that was not directed at you. just in general.

those three courses seem to be a pretty big load. if i were you i'd go ahead and take the other class. but, since i'm not you, i can't really say. are you really good at math? if so, then the calc and physics won't be too hard for you probably and taking the other class would be fine.. if math is not your strength, you might want to just stick with those three.

To be honest, that really doesn't sound too bad. I would recommend taking a humanities course since you're stock full of science/math. But then again look at me, I'm taking Genetics, PChem, Thermo, and Physics2+lab next semester. What am I talking about?? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lola
i find it so funny how people on this forum get worked up about taking a bunch of classes at once. you pretty much HAD to do that where i went. i guess if you're paying private school tuition, there's no point in going an extra year/semester. anyway, that was not directed at you. just in general.

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing! I always took as many classes as possible because I felt bad spending all of my hard earned money without getting the most for it. While I don't regret it for the most part, I know it hurt my grades.

Anyway, back to the OP's question - from what others on this board have said, it's better to get good grades with fewer credits than to sacrifice your gpa for a packed course load. in otherwords, don't take the extra class unless you know you will still be able to do well in all of them. As long as you still graduate in 4 years, I don't think taking the extra credits is necessary.

:)

Every time I see questions about "should I take this many classes?" I think "YES!" Take a full load. Honestly, you need to get used to taking a lot of hard classes. Life isn't easy, and neither is med school. What's the point of trying to gain a very tiny advantage by getting a slightly better GPA this semester at the cost of learning how to handle hard classes?

well you taking a pretty tough load with organic, physics and calc 3. i mean dont try to kill yourself there. i mean those 3 classes are going to be demanding as hell (unless you are like some science genius which you may be). i think since you are taking those three classes at the same time, it would look pretty good to adcoms since you are taking an extremely demanding courses together. i dont think an education class or whatever class you were thinking about adding, will impress them much. the fact that you are taking orgo, physics, and calc 3 all at the same time will probably look the same even if you add another class. and whats the point of stressing even a little bit more. get a good gpa with what you have. that extra class will not really matter in the long run (unless its for major).
thats just my take.

If i were you i'd just take one science class a YEAR- you know, so it's not too "killer". That way you can do well and be a non-trad at the same time! --Trek

i agree with lola!!!

I'm taking 21 hrs in the fall. Physics I, O-chem I, Bio I, A&P, and microbio. I'd say THAT'S a full load.

toss on another class, what the hell. ;)

I should add that I have already taken 4 of the 5 but > 7 years ago and beyond the statute of limitations for pre-reqs.