course work section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took some college courses when I was in High School and I also took CLEP tests so I have enough credits to be able to graduate in three years. I will be graduating in Spring of 2002. I graduated high school in 1999 and started as a full time college student in fall 1999. I've considered that as my Sophomore year. Is that okay?

Also I'm facing problems while trying to fill out the 'course work' section on the application. The academic term that best fits my college's semesters is the SS(summer), S1(fall), S2(spring) terms. This should be the chronological order of the semesters that I attended:
1998 SS (Summer) High School
1998 S1 (Fall) High School
1999 S2 (Spring) High School
1999 S1 (Fall) Sophomore
2000 S2 (Spring) Sophomore
2000 S1 (Fall) Junior
2001 S2 (Spring) Junior
2001 S1 (Fall) Senior
2001 S2 (Spring) Senior

I've filled out until Fall 1999. Now when I try to fill out 2000 S2, the spring term is missing from the list. And also Fall 1999 showed up before Spring 1999. Please tell me how to correct this and how to choose the spring term.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please help me with this?

medical22
I feel your pain. we all went through the same **** so you just have to miss around with the program. here is what I did, rather then doing each quarter at a time and putting all the classes in, i missed around getting all the dates right and then I input the class and grade section. good luck get that appl in bec alot of us are getting secondaries. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I read, if you take college courses when you are in high school, you list them as high school, and that is it. How do you have summer classes as High school? The determination of sophomore, junior, etc, is determined by the number of credits. I know if you click the help section it will tell you how many credits you need to be considered in each category. Like in the Fall of 1999, did you have 32 (if that is the number) credits prior to taking those courses? If so, then you would be a sophomore, otherwise, you would be a freshman. I had a similar issue because I had tons of AP classes and took 18 credits each semester my first few semester, so my "freshman" and "sophomore" years were like 1 semester a piece. Hope this helps. You are really not as late getting these in as others may lead you to believe.

medical 22:

I am pretty much in the same academic situation as you are, having to go through college in 3 years. I didn't really go by AMCAS's guidelines for determining your year in college by number of credits, and instead went by my official status given by my college. For example, my first year in college was technically my sophomore year, because my university said i was in the class of 2002.

Anyway, about your original question: I had that same problem at first, but then realized that there was actually nothing wrong. What is happening is that AMCAS considers the full academic year as starting in 1999, so even though you select "S2 2000," it will show up as Academic Year 1999 S2 or whatever. I know, it's weird :rolleyes: Hope that helps. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, and good luck w/ applying!

Thanks for your help!
I called them and found that out. I was worrying because it kept changing automatically and was showing up in the wrong order when I tried to fix it. Now I realize that AMCAS spring semesters come under the previous year. However, I'm still having problems with the status part. Under the help section on the application it says that if a degree is earned in three years, one should indicate the years as FR, SO, and SR. That doesn't make any sense. I'm going to write the years in as SO, JR, SR and skip my freshman year. The credits that they ask you to follow also mess up everything because they only want you to assign one status per term. So if in the middle of the semester, a status changes, then that becomes confusing. The only thing is that it tells you to put FR as the status for any CLEP courses. But I did not take them during my FR year.
I'm sick of this online application. I wish we could fill it out on paper.

Well I took AP courses (kind of like CLEP i suppose) and listed them as my FR year, even though I didn't take them as a freshman. I just made my freshman year 1998 Full Term and listed my AP classes, even though I was still a HS senior in 1998, and did not take all my AP classes in that year. I called AMCAS and they said it didn't really matter how I listed that credit, as long as I list it, so the way I did it was OK. Yeah for the 3 year thing, I just put SO, JR, SR for my three years in college....I kind of assumed that was OK, but you might want to call to check. I just thought I should stick w/ my school's official designation of my year. I dunno. A lil too late for me to call, since I submitted it already =P But I think they'll understand my app anyway. Never read the help file for status, hehe =P