Coursera certificates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerk

LCSW, private practice
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking one or two just-for-fun continuing education courses on Coursera. Has anyone done these? Are they interesting?

Also, is there any value in listing them in the professional development/continuing education section of my resume? I can't imagine that completing these courses represents any kind of academic merit beyond the bare minimum, but it might at least show that I'm willing to gain additional health sciences knowledge. Their UPenn pharmacology class looks appealing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of taking one or two just-for-fun continuing education courses on Coursera. Has anyone done these? Are they interesting?

Also, is there any value in listing them in the professional development/continuing education section of my resume? I can't imagine that completing these courses represents any kind of academic merit beyond the bare minimum, but it might at least show that I'm willing to gain additional health sciences knowledge. Their UPenn pharmacology class looks appealing.

Hi Qwerk,

If no one bites over here (I know nothing about Coursera, but since online education is kinda stigmatized I'd bet against it for impressing on the CV/resume), maybe the moderators wouldn't mind if you posted on the doc forum (generally double posting is a no-no, but maybe it would be okay if no one responds here)? It's a little more rough and tumble over there, but posts generally receive more interest, and some folks are pretty helpful. Been thinking I might see you on the gay school psych thread (which has d/evolved into a gay marriage debate).

Also, with regards to the value of the course, just vet the teacher if you can. Let's just say that I know a lot of folks teaching right now.

Hi Qwerk,

If no one bites over here (I know nothing about Coursera, but since online education is kinda stigmatized I'd bet against it for impressing on the CV/resume), maybe the moderators wouldn't mind if you posted on the doc forum (generally double posting is a no-no, but maybe it would be okay if no one responds here)? It's a little more rough and tumble over there, but posts generally receive more interest, and some folks are pretty helpful. Been thinking I might see you on the gay school psych thread (which has d/evolved into a gay marriage debate).

Yeah, thus far I've been leaning slightly against putting anything that says "online" on the resume unless it addresses a big skill deficit. I'm kind of thrilled by getting anything for free, but maybe employers don't want to know about my cheapness. :p

I was restraining myself from entering the gay marriage thread. I'd have probably ended up waving my arms wildly and shouting, "MY GAY TAX BREAK IS JUST AS HOLY AS YOUR DULL HETERO SEX!" Maybe now that it's wound down a little, I'll jump into the fray.

Members don't see this ad :)

Online education is stigmatized, but if it is something you are just doing on the side for further education, I don't think it would harm you. Most academic institutions are developing online education of some sort, and it will slowly become more accepted. Just not for every topic (e.g., psychotherapy skills...?). Technology is getting more advanced for this sort of thing too.

I haven't done any coursera stuff yet, but I'm registered for an "R" class this fall....I think it's a great option for learning if you don't have access to in-person classes and just need some help getting into the material. I know myself well enough to know I won't learn R on my own, but I am taking it with one of my grad students and a few other young faculty and we'll keep each other on track.

Wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had anything to add - they discussed Coursera as a good way to fill in some gaps in training in the neuropsych webinar that T4C posted the other day. Anyone (students or faculty) have any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks for bringing this up, Chalupacabra. I watched the neuropsych internship webinar and was surprised that they suggested this. I took the Intro to Clinical Neurology Coursera course taught by University of California - San Francisco because someone on the Npsych listserve suggested that it was helpful. And it was -- it helped give me an overview of the area and I do find myself referring back to the materials once in a while.

I do, though, feel a bit reluctant to put the course on CV where I list my other neuropsych coursework. I feel like it's going to make me look like I'm padding my CV. However, the Coursera courses fulfill a need. I am trying to get as much exposure to neuropsych-related topics as possible before I start internship, as I'm applying in the fall and have only been pursuing the area for the past year or so. I have been taking other courses, but it's not always easy to fit in this coursework and Houston guidelines do appear to be flexible in accepting various types of didactic sources (e.g., grand rounds, internship didactics, etc.). Anyway, the comment in the webinar does make me feel a bit more confident about putting the course on my CV, but I continue to feel weird about it because the bar for passing those courses is quite low. Although, the caliber for accountability in these courses can't be significantly different from the typical CE course test.