Courses at a Community College...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter if I have taken a couple of my requirement courses (Organic I & II) at a community college? Considering that they were transferrable to the Uni I graduated from...

Has anyone taken courses at a Community College and gained acceptance to DO schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really matter if I have taken a couple of my requirement courses (Organic I & II) at a community college? Considering that they were transferrable to the Uni I graduated from...

Has anyone taken courses at a Community College and gained acceptance to DO schools?

Thanks

absolutely no problem as long as CC is accredited and the courses cover the same material as University ones.
I am taking phys2 and chem in CC and have learned so much more then in my Uni.

u can also do a search on this forum. This question was asked some gazilion times so you can get a good perspective if you do search.

Thanks

I took more than a few pre-reqs at a CC and I have been accepted into 2 DO programs and waitlisted at 1. I know there are others on SDN that have as well and they had no problems. The only thing that may come up is that you may have to explain things about the school (i.e. level of education the profs have, etc.) since this can vary between CC's. However, this only came up once in my 4 interviews, so all-in-all, you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
absolutely no problem as long as CC is accredited and the courses cover the same material as University ones.
I am taking phys2 and chem in CC and have learned so much more then in my Uni.

u can also do a search on this forum. This question was asked some gazilion times so you can get a good perspective if you do search.

Which CC to you attend? I live in the chicago area and was curious. I went to Moraine Valley CC in Palos Park for a few classes.

Which CC to you attend? I live in the chicago area and was curious. I went to Moraine Valley CC in Palos Park for a few classes.

i am not really 'attending' CC, just taking few classes this semester.
I have to admit that CC (at least Harper) is so great. In terms of science classes it doesn't even compare to UIC.
I love Harper: small classes, amazing high tech labs and devoted faculty (both my prof. have PhD's in their field).
To be honest if i could do it over (i am a senior at UIC now) i would have taken my first 60 credits at CC. I'd be also much better prepared for the MCAT.
I know that ppl say CC classes are easier(and i guess they are) but the reason for it is not that prof. are more linieant but the fact that they do teaching and only teaching, and they do it because they want to not because they have to (so they can be left alone with their research like it seems to be the case in my Uni). Smaller class size and devoted teacher can make a huge difference.
Plus when it comes to location, schedule and price you can't beat a good CC:laugh: :thumbup:

i am not really 'attending' CC, just taking few classes this semester.
I have to admit that CC (at least Harper) is so great. In terms of science classes it doesn't even compare to UIC.
I love Harper: small classes, amazing high tech labs and devoted faculty (both my prof. have PhD's in their field).
To be honest if i could do it over (i am a senior at UIC now) i would have taken my first 60 credits at CC. I'd be also much better prepared for the MCAT.
I know that ppl say CC classes are easier(and i guess they are) but the reason for it is not that prof. are more linieant but the fact that they do teaching and only teaching, and they do it because they want to not because they have to (so they can be left alone with their research like it seems to be the case in my Uni). Smaller class size and devoted teacher can make a huge difference.
Plus when it comes to location, schedule and price you can't beat a good CC:laugh: :thumbup:

I agree 100%. It made a HUGE difference with my understanding & MCAT score too.

I too am at UIC right now (graduate, non-degree seeking, part-time student - basically just taking a few classes to better prepare myself). I'm taking BIOS 454, 286, and attending the lectures of 443.

I agree 100%. It made a HUGE difference with my understanding & MCAT score too.

I too am at UIC right now (graduate, non-degree seeking, part-time student - basically just taking a few classes to better prepare myself). I'm taking BIOS 454, 286, and attending the lectures of 443.

well i don't want to cr@ptalk about UIC but if i could have done it again i would have gone to Depaul or Loyola. I really don't like anything about UIC and the only department i am acctually semi satisfied with is art history. All science classes (with one exception) i have taken there were really bad:(

I attend a University that prides itself as being one of the top in the midwest. HA, the quality of teachers and just the way things were done at the CC far surpass that of my current University. Coming out of highschool I would recommend anybody to attend a CC for 1-2 years first. I learned a TON there compared to my U.

I loved my Texas CC. The science dept was great and kids from all over would come there to take Chem and O-chem in the summer.

Dr Knight and Dr Kouadio were better than any post-bacc or MCAT review course! :thumbup:

Yes. I took all of my chemisty at a CC. No one had an issue with it.:luck: :luck:

Im from MN and know people who have gone to CC's in MN and WI for science classes, specifically Orgo. My experience has been that these classes are a joke. The labs esepcially are not comprehensive all. One kid I was speaking to didn't know how to read an NMR. This just my personal experience, not necessarily what all CC's offer.

Im from MN and know people who have gone to CC's in MN and WI for science classes, specifically Orgo. My experience has been that these classes are a joke. The labs esepcially are not comprehensive all. One kid I was speaking to didn't know how to read an NMR. This just my personal experience, not necessarily what all CC's offer.

I think your right, generally, but CC's have a different goal in mind. They want the student to understand the fundamentals, etc. (yes, I understand NMR is part of that, but...) where universities gear the student to more of a research-oriented teaching. So, I think it depends on what one's goals are. If one is a chemistry major and wants to do research, I would suggest taking those classes at a university. But, as in my case, I was not a chemistry major, did not want to pursue chemsitry research, so in those cases I would suggest a CC.

I am currently in organic 2 at a CC. My class is actually pretty good. The gen chem that I took there...:rolleyes: well, that's another story. It really depends on the school and the professor.

No problem;) at all ...I'm currently taking some pre-reqs at CC. MCAT is equilizer. Do good in you MCAT and they will know how good u r. No buddy now have money to afford universities. well, at least i don't.

so Good Luck out there!!!

I am currently in organic 2 at a CC. My class is actually pretty good. The gen chem that I took there...:rolleyes: well, that's another story. It really depends on the school and the professor.

yeah it makes a huuuuge difference.
I was very lucky couse all my CC professors so far were outstanding. Especially my physics professor. SHe is the best lecturer in the world. She makes you so interested in physics that when you go home and turn on your coffee machine you start thinking abour the electron flow and circuit closing and what happens exactly:laugh:
She is concidered to be quite hard. She wants you to know your stuff but then she is also very sweet lady. She even called me yeasterday just to tell me that the class was cancelled and i do not have to drive in this crazy snow.
I was like WOW.:love: