Courses for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crest29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am planning to goto USC next year for pharmacy school. I currently attend UCSD. They are offering a new course next quarter called "Pharmacology"..
and I'm signed up for it for now but I was wondering whether or not it would be worth it to take this course.. seeing as I have lots of other courses to complete for USC Pre reqs.. I might just take it P/NP.. or just for enrichment?..

Here's what the syllabus looks like..

Introduction; Terminology; History; FDA; Clinical trials
Lecture 2 Pharmacokinetics 1: Drug Preparations; Absorption and Distribution
Lecture 3 Pharmacokinetics 2: Metabolism and Elimination; Drug Interactions
Lecture 4 Molecular Basis of Drug Action 1: Ion Channels, GPCR
Lecture 5 Molecular Basis of Drug Action 2: RTKs, Nuclear receptors
Lecture 6 Cholinergic Agonists and Antagonists
Lecture 7 Adrenergic Agonists and Antagonists
Lecture 8 Cardiac and Antihypertensive Drugs
Lecture 9 Drugs Affecting the Urinary and Gastrointestinal Tract
Midterm
Lecture 10 Drugs Affecting Lipid, Cholesterol and Glucose Metabolism
Lecture 11 CNS-targeting Drugs (e.g. Anxiolytics, Antidepressants, Antiepileptics, Anestethics)
Lecture 12 Pain-targeting Drugs (Narcotic Analgesics, NSAIDs, Local Anesthetics)
Lecture 13 Steroid Drugs (e.g. Sex-steroids, glucocorticoids)
Lecture 14 Immunemodulatory Drugs (e.g. Immunesuppressives, Antihistamines)
Lecture 15 Chemotherapy 1: Antibacterial Drugs
Lecture 16 Chemotherapy 2: Antiviral and Antifungal Drugs
Lecture 17 Chemotherapy 3: Anticancer Drugs
Lecture 18 Toxicology 1: Poisonous Plants & Herbal Remedies; Fungal Toxins (e.g. LSD)
Lecture 19 Toxicology 2: Misc. Poisons and Toxins (e.g. Venoms, Anthrax Toxin, Botulinum TX)

What do you guys think?..
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks very similar to the pharmacology class I took at Berkeley but not as long b/c ours was a 15-week course (semester system).

It looks like an interesting class, and certainly something you will need to know. I would take it because you can be one step ahead in Pharmacy school, and it could be a nice little something extra on your transcript to show you are motivated to learn above just the requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I wish USC undergrad offered such a course - the class seems really relevant and interesting! You mentioned that you still had a lot of pre-reqs for USC to finish. Don't take those lightly - make sure you have time to finish the pre-reqs for the schools you want to apply to. Since the class isn't a pre-req you could take it P/NP.. but hey, if its going to be easy you might as well score an A! Good lucks :luck:

I would absolutely take it. It looks similar to the pharmacology class I took at USF. Even if you can't replace your pharmacy school pharmacology class with the credit from this one, you will have an advantage of having seen the material before. :thumbup:

hi there!

i took that class at ucsd last year w/ dr. tukey (and alota guest lecturers). the class is pretty fun ... interesting imean. u'll learn alota about drugs there (but more like an intro). the middle part of the class gets kinda challenging (in my opinion) but overall it's not too bad. but i would definitely take the class.. it's worth it!

FutureRxGal said:
I would absolutely take it. It looks similar to the pharmacology class I took at USF.

you must have been in my class!! anyway, yes, take it. it will not only be an interesting class, but good background knowledge for pharmacy school.

FutureRxGal said:
When did you take it? I took it fall 2003.
\

fall 2004 great class!

I am definitely wanting otoapply to pharmacy school. I want ot apply to multiple ones. However some schools hae different pre pharm req's. Most have the standard English and Math but hte Chemisty and Biology etc is different. I want to apply to UGA but I have a 2.71 gpa so I am going to retake the classes I did bad in .

Do I have a chance of getting in?