Courses required for each Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheYellowOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what courses are really needed to actually apply for Pharmacy schools, as they have different courses which need to be completed to actually be able to transfer into their pharmacy school. Or do they only worry about their academic GPA and PCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

you must complete each school's pre-req classes before entering pharmacy school. To apply you should have enough to do well for the PCAT which includes:
bio / chem / orgo / some anatomy & phys

but in the end, if the school requires ethics, microbio, biochem... etc, those will need to be completed by summer (for most schools) before entering pharm school.

I was wondering what courses are really needed to actually apply for Pharmacy schools, as they have different courses which need to be completed to actually be able to transfer into their pharmacy school. Or do they only worry about their academic GPA and PCAT scores?

They definitely care about required courses to get in, if you get accepted and do not have them done by the time pharmacy school starts, then they will take away your acceptance.

Go to all the Pharmacy School websites you are considering and look for a "required courses list", those are the courses you must take and get good grades in.
In general you have to take...
1 year of general Chem with labs
1 year of general Biology with labs
1 year of organic chemistry with lab
1 year or maybe less of physics with lab
Microbiology possibly with a lab
Cellular Biology
1 year of Anatomy lab and physiology
Biochemistry may also be required
And usually a speech, ethics, sociology, or psychology class is thrown in there too but some of these classes will differ.

Looking at it now, it actually seems like a lot but once you get going it starts to fly by and it will be time to apply to some schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate the ones like interpersonal communication and speech that don't help you at all except getting into specific schools:thumbdown:

I hate the ones like interpersonal communication and speech that don't help you at all except getting into specific schools:thumbdown:

Everyone hates those classes, the best thing to do is to take them online at a community college, it is cheap and almost always an easy A! I finished my whole PSY 201 course in 2 weeks online.

You can do speech online or is that a psychology class?

I'm taking TWO speech classes right now!!! Goshh...I'd rather take organic chemistry all over again than this. Oh well...

I'm taking TWO speech classes right now!!! Goshh...I'd rather take organic chemistry all over again than this. Oh well...

I know! I'm taking speech now too (the last class I needed) and I HATE it. It's kind of an easy A - but still painful to get through. Plus, having to sit there and listen to everybody's speeches is so boring.

Everyone hates those classes, the best thing to do is to take them online at a community college, it is cheap and almost always an easy A! I finished my whole PSY 201 course in 2 weeks online.

Good idea but some of the schools I'm interested in don't accept online classes.

Some accredited schools offer their introductory speech course as a distance education course. If the school accepts courses from accredited colleges, then I would think they would have to accept the speech course too. The transcripts do not make any distinction between it being a distance education course-- at least my transcript did not. So the credit you are given for the distance education course is the same credit that you would be given had you taken the course on campus.

I actually enjoyed interpersonal. Helped me see areas where I can better communicate in social relationships. Public speaking was boring though. The other classes, I just figure I've got to jump through the hoops like everyone else. No way around them really.

You can do speech online or is that a psychology class?

will other courses besides science help your gpa?

What kind of GPA are you talking about? Science GPA? Overall GPA? or Pre-req GPA?? Speech courses are easy A's, but it's just a pain. The most painful process for me is to find a topic.

What kind of GPA are you talking about? Science GPA? Overall GPA? or Pre-req GPA?? Speech courses are easy A's, but it's just a pain. The most painful process for me is to find a topic.

overall

Of course they would help your GPA if you get A's. :confused:

I actually enjoyed interpersonal. Helped me see areas where I can better communicate in social relationships. Public speaking was boring though. The other classes, I just figure I've got to jump through the hoops like everyone else. No way around them really.

I'm

My instructor was lax about the Public Speaking course where we didn't have to rate the other students' speeches. So most of the time, I just came to class and sat around while other people gave their presentations. I found that boring and believed that the instructor should have made us at least rate the presentations and/or give feedback to make the class more interesting. It was an easy A for me as I really prepared for each speech. Though Public Speaking isn't as pertinant as pharmacology, Public Speaking beats having to memorize a bunch of random biology stuff.:)