courses to take during summer at community college?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

synapsefire

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello, just wondering if anyone had recommendations of what classes to take during the summer. My mom was telling me to take a pre-med course...but I don't want to take a hard class during my summer vacation. Should I just take a fun class or take any pre-med class (bio, chem, physics) to save money when I go to university ? which is better?

thanks.
 
certainly something i am considering as well

i have signed up for
stats
humanities
English
and perhaps considering biology

anyone with more experience or insight to help?
 
Take a fun class. You have plenty of time in college to take the required pre med classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking General Chem and GChem Lab and then Psychology... I'll let you know later if it's a smart idea... I'm not so sure myself right now...
 
I'd say save your chemistry, physics, and calculus till university. Take your lit classes or humanities at a community college. Med schools don't like it if your pre-reqs were taken at a community college.
 
I took speech, interpersonal communications, Spanish 1, macroeconomics and Pharmacology for technicians over the different summers I was enrolled in CC. I like to take the harder classes during the fall/spring when you're not on abbreviated sessions. Since most of these were required for P-school or for my BS anyway it wasn't really wasted time.
 
hello, just wondering if anyone had recommendations of what classes to take during the summer. My mom was telling me to take a pre-med course...but I don't want to take a hard class during my summer vacation. Should I just take a fun class or take any pre-med class (bio, chem, physics) to save money when I go to university ? which is better?

thanks.

I would take your general education requirements.
 
I'd say save your chemistry, physics, and calculus till university. Take your lit classes or humanities at a community college. Med schools don't like it if your pre-reqs were taken at a community college.

It's not a CC, it's a small state school. I'll probably have to retake them anyway though, I'm not sure if my credits will transfer or not. Either way I figure it's good prep...
 
I agree with Cscull but at the same time, I'd be pissed.

That is kind of like throwing away money. You want your credits to transfer. And they should. They are actual classes.
 
Take something fun that's also required for graduation. A liberal arts class you want to take, a sport, speech class...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would NOT recommend taking chemisty and then entering a university to take ochem. The university is likely to be much harder. Therefore, by not preparing like the other freshman, you would be seriously disadvantaged. It does not have much to do with content (they are very different) as it does with the preparation of the chemistry department.

I would say that you can take other pre-reqs, like calculus. Or, you can take physics. You can even take some humanities. Just make sure it is practical enough for you to make a good grade in.
 
I would NOT recommend taking chemisty and then entering a university to take ochem. The university is likely to be much harder. Therefore, by not preparing like the other freshman, you would be seriously disadvantaged. It does not have much to do with content (they are very different) as it does with the preparation of the chemistry department.

I would say that you can take other pre-reqs, like calculus. Or, you can take physics. You can even take some humanities. Just make sure it is practical enough for you to make a good grade in.
seems alright