Coursework vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imsonicaal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, not sure if this has been covered before. Apologies if it has. I'd like to know if Masters by coursework or Masters by research is the same? Assuming the goal is to do a PhD. Will taking a Masters by coursework, albeit in a reputable university, spoil one's chances of getting into a PhD program? Does Masters by coursework imbue the practitioner with better foundations to practice? As in, how do employers view coursework vs research students? Are research students definitely going into academia, or postdoctoral work? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What is a "masters by research" What does this even mean?

A masters degree in psychology will always consist of didactic coursework, and many programs will require you to write an empirical masters thesis, although some programs whose main goal is to produce masters level mental health practioners may give you a choice between writing a thesis and doing extra practicum work. In terms of clinical psychology, getting a masters first doesnt really hurt you, but unless you are trying to bump up a crappy undegrad GPA, there is no sense in wasting the time or money if you already know you ultimately want the doctorate. If you kinow you want the doctorate, and you are compettive at the doctoral level, there would be little reason to get a masters at another university first. Is this the kind of information you were looking for?

Hi erg, Thanks for your answer, it's very helpful. I'm not really sure if I am competitive at the Doctoral level yet - I haven't chosen a proper research topic, and my undergrad GPA was not too good. However, my honors' year results would be good - its the Australian system, so I'm not sure if the honours year can offset a crappy undergrad GPA for a competitive Doctoral entry...