Covalent vs Ionic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmadtoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this used to be such a simple answer to me, but now that I'm reading about a bunch of different factors involved, such as intermolecular vs intramolecular and in liquid vs solid, etc.

In undergrad, I always had it as Covalent>Ionic>Hbonding>Vanderwalls.

BUT, I've been reading so many different view points on Covalent vs Ionic, I just want a clear answer lmfao, this research on such a simple topic is making me go insane. Any help?

Just want to know how I should approach this, DAT-specific wise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What undergrad taught covalent as strongest?

Ionic >covalent

Unless it's network covalent then depends on molecule.

What undergrad taught covalent as strongest?

Ionic >covalent

Unless it's network covalent then depends on molecule.

Lol yes, network covalent. I guess I didn't ask the question properly... DAT specific, would we have to interpret the situation to depict the strength of the covalent bond in order to rank it against ionic bonds?

Honestly, this used to be such a simple answer to me, but now that I'm reading about a bunch of different factors involved, such as intermolecular vs intramolecular and in liquid vs solid, etc.

In undergrad, I always had it as Covalent>Ionic>Hbonding>Vanderwalls.

BUT, I've been reading so many different view points on Covalent vs Ionic, I just want a clear answer lmfao, this research on such a simple topic is making me go insane. Any help?

Just want to know how I should approach this, DAT-specific wise.

The reason you cannot get a straight answer is because there is NONE !

It actually depends on what you compare .

If you compare glucose to lithium fluoride,,,,,the ionic compound wins.
If you take a covalent molecule like diamond or graphite ....and put it up against LiF.....the covalent compound wins. LiF melts at 1118K...diamond 4200K !!!

However,,,,,as a general rule of thumb.....Ionic beats out covalent compounds. But don't bet your life on it !

For the DAT exam, use Ionic>covalent.H-bonding>Van Der Waals.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
The reason you cannot get a straight answer is because there is NONE !

It actually depends on what you compare .

If you compare glucose to lithium fluoride,,,,,the ionic compound wins.
If you take a covalent molecule like diamond or graphite ....and put it up against LiF.....the covalent compound wins. LiF melts at 1118K...diamond 4200K !!!

However,,,,,as a general rule of thumb.....Ionic beats out covalent compounds. But don't bet your life on it !

For the DAT exam, use Ionic>covalent.H-bonding>Van Der Waals.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

This answer was flawless, thank you so much Dr. Romano!

Reactions: 1 user