Covering the cost of post-bacc classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogismom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need to take a few more advanced classes (i.e., ochem, biochem, etc) so I'd like to do a post-bacc but unsure of how to pay for it without taking out a ton of money in loans. Does anyone know of any kind of organization, scholarship opportunity, or types of jobs that would help alleviate the cost of classes? Any ideas or suggestions would be deeply appreciated! I am in the try-state area.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I need to take a few more advanced classes (i.e., ochem, biochem, etc) so I'd like to do a post-bacc but unsure of how to pay for it without taking out a ton of money in loans. Does anyone know of any kind of organization, scholarship opportunity, or types of jobs that would help alleviate the cost of classes? Any ideas or suggestions would be deeply appreciated! I am in the try-state area.

Jobs at universities usually offer some sort of tuition discount or stipend!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the cheapest school possible and pay as much as you can out of pocket. I took my prereqs as a post-bacc student at a tiny no-name school that was cheap and was able to pay for my classes out of pocket by continuing to work full time (though I realize that may not be possible for everyone).

Looking on the local level isn't a bad idea. Tri-state is non-specific (only Maine doesn't share borders with 2 other states), but searching for city/county/state scholarships would be worth the time. Likely to only be a couple hundred a piece. But combine that with going somewhere cheap, and it might help.

Hi all!

I didn't take out any additional loans when I did my prereqs after undergrad. I worked full time, and only did 1 or 2 classes a semester at a state school so I could afford the tuition. You can get loans if you go full-time, and get done faster. But it's also possible to take longer (added 2 years to when I could apply) and not add to your debt.

Did all my 60 credits of pre-req in the state u, got hired in a research lab in the university as a 25% FTE to have my tuitions and fees waived. Could only take 12ish credits every semester to accommodate the almost full time work load, but the research experience helped with application a lot.

Otherwise, try community college or online classes (UCLA extension, Doane University, etc.) Confirm with the vet schools you want to apply that they accept classes taken from such institutions - as long as they do, they are not going to discriminate against your application because of that. And you can save a lot of money.