• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

COVID-19 Case Investigator as Clinical Experience?

blix1225

5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi, I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience? (I'm honestly still a little confused as to exactly what activities would count as clinical experience. Any clarification or input would be appreciated :) )

Thank you!

darkeon

7+ Year Member
    Oct 17, 2014
    1. Pre-Medical
      Contract tracing. I think the time of Covid will bring up new activities that adcoms haven't seen before so I think your answer will vary from adcom member to member even from within the same committee.

If I were the applicant, I'd place as non-clinical but that's just me. I argue you're calling people in their homes and not patients under active treatment. still a cool gig though

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Hi, I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience? (I'm honestly still a little confused as to exactly what activities would count as clinical experience. Any clarification or input would be appreciated :) )

Thank you!
        Sounds both clinical and very important!

Reactions: 2 users

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 4, 2006
        The Other Side of the Portal
        1. Attending Physician
          I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience?
          I'd consider it clinical; you are interacting with current patients in a helpful way, albeit by phone. At my school, this year's screening prompt is worded in a way that would oblige any of our adcomms to give your experience points as "Clinical." Next year might be different. Other schools are different. You would be wise to apply when you can list in-person patient interaction as well.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.