COVID-19 Case Investigator as Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted782157

Hi, I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience? (I'm honestly still a little confused as to exactly what activities would count as clinical experience. Any clarification or input would be appreciated :) )

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Contract tracing. I think the time of Covid will bring up new activities that adcoms haven't seen before so I think your answer will vary from adcom member to member even from within the same committee.

If I were the applicant, I'd place as non-clinical but that's just me. I argue you're calling people in their homes and not patients under active treatment. still a cool gig though

Very cool experience, that’s super unique. But no, if it’s form the government and it’s interviews, just bec it is health related does not make it clinical

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience? (I'm honestly still a little confused as to exactly what activities would count as clinical experience. Any clarification or input would be appreciated :) )

Thank you!
Sounds both clinical and very important!

Reactions: 2 users
This sounds like contact tracing, which is not clinical.

it’s a unique experience and I think it’ll help your application, but I don’t think it’s clinical.

I've have recently started a job as a COVID-19 case investigator for the local government at my hometown. In this role, I interview patients who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 about their symptoms, possible exposure settings, etc. and provide guidance for quarantining/isolating at home. These interviews are conducted over the phone.

Question: Could this be classified as clinical experience?
I'd consider it clinical; you are interacting with current patients in a helpful way, albeit by phone. At my school, this year's screening prompt is worded in a way that would oblige any of our adcomms to give your experience points as "Clinical." Next year might be different. Other schools are different. You would be wise to apply when you can list in-person patient interaction as well.

Reactions: 1 user