COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronTalus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which states/schools are sending students home from class/clinical rotations due to the COVID-19 situation?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Kent has closed the campus and classes are online until April 13th currently. The clinic and rotations are still open and we are seeing patients. Cleveland clinic has cancelled their externship and rotations for March and April.

Reactions: 1 users
At Scholl, the Emergency med rotations starting from April is canceled (at least for my group).
Clinic and other rotations are still ongoing, for now.

I hear from my friends at NYCPM that they are also canceling on-campus lectures from this week.
I believe their campus is open though, and labs/rotations will still go on.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I'm hearing AZPOD is still in session. Not sure if they are going to cancel classes anytime soon.

Temple is all remote for the rest of the spring semester for 1st/2nd years

Scholl is online as of yesterday, exams are remote. School says on the 30th they'll "reevaluate" but I have a feeling they'll be closed for a bit more.

Tonight Barry University has closed all classes and all clinics years 1-4 until further notice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are student(s) positive with COVID19 on your campuses?

No not at Barry to my knowledge. Most schools are becoming more inline with global efforts to stop the spread and lower risk. Medical students play a non-essential role in the clinic/OR. makes sense to send them home.

Word on the street is that they may cancel graduation this year at Kent, pending of course the state of COVID-19 in May. School is officially closed to face-to-face interactions until 4/13, although it is sounding unlikely to end there as per some of the faculty.

While I understand the importance of controlling this thing as much as we can, it's still a huge bummer that I won't be able to spend my last few months with my friends before we scatter for residency. So many missed opportunities.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
The deans of all schools are meeting today to discuss and make a decision on what to do about students on rotations and externships.

The deans of all schools are meeting today to discuss and make a decision on what to do about students on rotations and externships.

Attachments

• 293695C1-C3BB-4A49-8059-3EA0AEA6A974.jpeg
    293695C1-C3BB-4A49-8059-3EA0AEA6A974.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 102

I don't think there is anything else left to do besides canceling stuff/or making it online.
My plan was to finish the rest of year 3 and 4..around NY, NJ, Cali...but now it's all on hold. :arghh:

Out of curiosity, are any schools still open? I haven't heard of New York or Arizona closing

Out of curiosity, are any schools still open? I haven't heard of New York or Arizona closing

Not sure about AzPod but NYCPM is closed for now for at least 2 weeks (i think) and is planning remote-exams mode, similar to other schools. Maybe @xoxo111 can comment more on NYCPM.

Fb group from other Pod-colleges has been helpful: Podiatry Student Network

Not sure about AzPod but NYCPM is closed for now for at least 2 weeks (i think) and is planning remote-exams mode, similar to other schools. Maybe @xoxo111 can comment more on NYCPM.
That is correct

Sorry for the late reply! Nycpm has suspended all lectures.They’re trying to figure out what to do with anatomy labs (probably will have dissection videos).Our lectures are now remote and we received an email today saying that chat rooms are available for interactions with the professors.Our exams are also gonna be online. Not sure about AZpod, interested to know about them and DMU.

Are any podiatry students anywhere still in class or rotations?

MS4s pulled out of clinic at KSUCPM. Not sure how they are going to make up their clerkships, but I have a hunch a lot of programs are going to have to be more flexible with taking on students for residency who didn't have the chance to extern at their program if this goes on for too long. This is going to be a weird year for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
You can't even step into a hospital as a student right now never mind do a rotation.

Highly doubt it.

Well in that case.... Will we even do May rotations? whew things are going to be tough class of 2021. Hang in there

What is considered an elective rotation? Clerkships or just cores?

2nd post

From personal experience each podiatry school uses different terms or students don’t understand them so I was just trying to clarify what he meant by elective rotations. Like your schools clinic or going out on externships?

Yeah, the terminologies can be confusing.

Rotations (elective & cores) are usually done during the 3rd-4th years, and they can either be at a clinic or a hospital.
Electives, up to a certain point, you can choose but cores are for everyone. So for example, cores in Internal med/Emergency med/Pod Surg/etc that every student has to do at that program (these are usually done in a hospital). Whereas, elective rotations (varies by programs) can be in any area like derm, anesth, radio, etc and you have some flexibility in choosing these subspecialties.

Podiatry Externships usually means doing an away (external) rotation at a site of your choosing and are usually done in the 4th year. Most programs have anywhere from 5-8 of these externships, you apply based on availability at a hospital of your choice and you spend 4 weeks at a place. You do these at a location where you might want to apply for and match at for residency.

This call can vary depending on the program.

Kent is allowing students to go on April rotations if they want to.

That's pretty risky as the 'peak' is fast approaching in that area.
Also, I don't have a problem going back, but there might not be a resident/attending teaching us what we need to know.

That's pretty risky as the 'peak' is fast approaching in that area.
Also, I don't have a problem going back, but there might not be a resident/attending teaching us what we need to know.
I agree. I was pretty shocked to see we were being allowed to return if we choose.

Edit: if anyone is interested in participating in online interactive learning sessions, a few DPMs at our school are doing Monday and Friday sessions. Monday’s are usually imaging (presenting X-rays/MRI, ID pathology, etc.) and Friday’s are journal article review and a live dissection and surgical procedures on cadaver limbs. You can follow steps_usa on Instagram for the links to join on Zoom or whoever is interested can DM me and I’ll send out links before it starts.

Last edited:
I’m a resident. I meant our hospital is talking about not allowing any student rotators through June. We’ll see though

What did your hospital decide?

Students are back on rotation at our program, both MS3 and MS4s. Hospital systems include Cleveland Clinic, Metro Health and Mercy Health in Northeast Ohio.

Are any other schools allowing 3rd/4th years to see patients now?

Yes nycpm third year students are back in rotations. Not sure about fourth year students since they’re on externships right now I think.

So New York and Kent are allowing rotations. Temple is not. Anyone know about Scholl or Barry?

Anyone not been able to do their externships? Friend who doesn't have SDN account is a 4th year student who's had all his canceled so far. He's not sure what to do. Hasn't been able to find any openings at hospitals that are allowing students.

Anyone not been able to do their externships? Friend who doesn't have SDN account is a 4th year student who's had all his canceled so far. He's not sure what to do. Hasn't been able to find any openings at hospitals that are allowing students.

Tbh, it's been a hit or miss situation for me as well; luckily I was able to schedule a few externships after my current em rotation (as long as they don't cancel).

Ask your friend to search in areas with less (or no) COVID cases, like NYC at the moment, also to check the VAs.
Talking to people in the class helps in case someone wants to swap/switch.

Tell your friend to email programs he's interested (or not but will make do with) directly.

Once he's able to find a program that can take students, get a "release" from the program he's supposed to be at that month. Once he has both 1) new approved program 2) release from old program, email whatsherface at DPMclerkships.org.

They should be able to officially switch it so it 1) still counts towards his clerkships to graduate and 2) he's able to keep his skills intact instead of being forced to do Zoom/Webex meetings that usually stop midway through the month.

TL/DR

1) Email programs DIRECTLY that he wants to go to (or if he has no choice, just start emailing programs)
2) Get a release from current cancelled programs. Usually an email suffices saying "Yes, you can go to a different program this month"
3) Email DPMclerkships so they can have it officially switched. Tell him to ask if one of his faculty who is in charge of clerkships can do it for him. Even easier and comes from a higher place so it carries more weight.
4) ??????
5) Profit

Or none of the above works and your friend is just SOL- which believe me, I've seen it already happen to very good classmates of mine.

Thanks for the help. I'll pass the information along. Really crazy how things have been going this year. It seems like a lot of people are going to be a few clerkships short prior to graduating. Wonder how the whole match process and graduation will play out this year. It's affecting us in the MD/DO side as well. Good luck to all.