Covid and training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akatiger_j

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How has the covid crisis affected your hospitals endoscopy procedures? (Completely gone or cut down by __%)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, no way anyone is business as usual especially with all the societies, CDC, CMS recommending you stop. Nearly all elective non-urgent outpatient elective procedures cancelled. Some urgent/ elective procedures allowed on a case by case basis. Inpatient scopes done by a single endoscopist for strong indications. All fellows have been removed from endoscopy to save PPE and decrease risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, no way anyone is business as usual especially with all the societies, CDC, CMS recommending you stop. Nearly all elective non-urgent outpatient elective procedures cancelled. Some urgent/ elective procedures allowed on a case by case basis. Inpatient scopes done by a single endoscopist for strong indications. All fellows have been removed from endoscopy to save PPE and decrease risk.

Thank you for your reply. I’m starting this july so im just curious how programs are shifting to make the fellows’ time useful?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is causing a lot of anxiety among many of our fellows, especially those close to graduating and year 4 advanced training fellows who are worried that this pattern will continue until graduation and then be followed by independent practice right after. I hope our GI societies address this directly.

Is causing a lot of issues, but at these times, we need to be calm, keep up to date with current societies at home vidoe's, podcasts, web series and cover the COVID floors. My hospitals I cover are all COVID floors, endo is turned into ICU, is like a war zone, I am trying to be safe and treat as many patients as possible. Each life I save, is a world, but we still need PPE.

My advice to all: Do not become pawns in this pandemic if there is no PPE do not even enter the floor or see COVID patients. You will do more harm.

Advocate for more PPE and advocate for Hazard pay.

OP, frankly trainees just aren’t going to be a priority right now. The good news is that GI fellowship is longer than necessary to provide bodies to do “research”. You’ll have time to learn what you need to learn in your fellowship. You might just not do as many meaningless chart reviews or 2 paper metaanalyses.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, frankly trainees just aren’t going to be a priority right now. The good news is that GI fellowship is longer than necessary to provide bodies to do “research”. You’ll have time to learn what you need to learn in your fellowship. You might just not do as many meaningless chart reviews or 2 paper metaanalyses.
This is One of the best posts on this sub forum in a long time.

I am a fellow...It sucks but I know my training is not the focus right now. I’m actually doing more research during this down time. Not what I want to do, but making the most of it