COVID Serology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atreus21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about a serology test for COVID? I know the CDC and Mayo are working on a test and I believe an LDT at Mt. Sinai. I keep get emails from small, unknown laboratories, but would obviously like to wait until a reputable vendor comes online with one. What are other folks doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I know other labs doing it for hospital employees. You need to have a good antibody. IgM seropositivity takes like 18 days. IgA is like 15.

Covid serologic LDTs will be available ~ 2-3 weeks.
capacity will be an issue at first, maybe a handful of labs able to run 2k or 3k / day. That will not even come close to meeting demand.

Last edited:
I know other labs doing it for hospital employees. You need to have a good antibody. IgM seropositivity takes like 18 days. IgA is like 15.

I'd be careful with interpreting COVID IgA. The package insert from Euroimmune shows 10% of normal (pre-COVID) blood donors are IgA positive. Word on the street is that Beckman has IgG and IgM tests and will seek FDA EUA and DiaSorin is weeks out from offering an IgG on Liaison platform. Roche and Biorad also have something in the works.

Also - Royal College of Pathologists guidelines: RCPA advises against COVID-19 IgG/IgM rapid tests for the detection of early COVID disease

Reactions: 1 user