CP only for a job in informatics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dro133

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in helping improving outcomes and efficiency through insights derived from population health informatics, and recently read an article that described how clinical pathologists may be in a unique position to provide this service. I don't see myself practicing AP in the future. Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to going straight to an industry position after med school, but I worry that not having some subspecialty training will place a ceiling on my career. I'm MD-only by the way.

1. Is it a bad idea to go into CP if my main interest is population health informatics? Is it a better idea to do a post-doc or go right into industry?
2. Would being CP-only severely limit my marketability, even if my main selling point was informatics?

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Population informatics? How is that differ than actuarial science? Pure informatics jobs are difficult to find so you should have some marketable clinical skills, which are limited to molecular/hemepath I believe.

yes! Quite a bit of demand for this if you do it. There is a wonderful fellowship that is 2 years long in CP-based Informatics. PM me for more details

Members don't see this ad :)
If you ever want to practice medicine, do a residency. I know people who have done the informatics fellowship and been happy, and some who have been grandfathered in. This is a hot area of medicine, but dont expect salaries to mirror that. I think there are lots of ways to get to the end here. Spend time learning software coding and development- this is the hidden gem in really understanding this field.

Reactions: 1 users
If you ever want to practice medicine, do a residency. I know people who have done the informatics fellowship and been happy, and some who have been grandfathered in. This is a hot area of medicine, but dont expect salaries to mirror that. I think there are lots of ways to get to the end here. Spend time learning software coding and development- this is the hidden gem in really understanding this field.

Thanks! Do you have any thoughts on CP only vs. AP/CP? Will CP only limit my opportunities?

Agreed. Don’t need AP for it. The only thing it may help for is future integration of data for digital path/AI functions but honestly even that can be done without AP training as data is data.

I currently do 25% AP/CP and 75% informatics in a large health system. I’m board-certified in CI. In my experience, it’s much, much easier to get a job if you can do AP/CP (both) plus informatics. There are tons of places that’d love to have an informaticist, but neither CP nor informatics are really RVU-generating activities. It would take an especially forward-looking (or rich) organization to hire people to do solely informatics, and then, they’d only need one or two.

One person who has gone the path that OP asks about is Brian Jackson at ARUP. He’s had a successful CP-informatics only career. You might ask him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm CP only and completed an Informatics fellowship. I currently split my time between traditional CP roles and Informatics. I believe it is a great filed and you won't have trouble finding a job. I know several departments that are looking for CI folks. It is a very hot field with the right skills + business acumen. This is especially true in a value-based health system. Also, it is easy to find a role in CI outside of the Pathology department (or with split with Path). PM me if you want more details.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm CP only and completed an Informatics fellowship. I currently split my time between traditional CP roles and Informatics. I believe it is a great filed and you won't have trouble finding a job. I know several departments that are looking for CI folks. It is a very hot field with the right skills + business acumen. This is especially true in a value-based health system. Also, it is easy to find a role in CI outside of the Pathology department (or with split with Path). PM me if you want more details.

Would love to hear more details, but can't PM you because it says you limit who sees your profile!

I currently do 25% AP/CP and 75% informatics in a large health system. I’m board-certified in CI. In my experience, it’s much, much easier to get a job if you can do AP/CP (both) plus informatics. There are tons of places that’d love to have an informaticist, but neither CP nor informatics are really RVU-generating activities. It would take an especially forward-looking (or rich) organization to hire people to do solely informatics, and then, they’d only need one or two.

One person who has gone the path that OP asks about is Brian Jackson at ARUP. He’s had a successful CP-informatics only career. You might ask him.

Head of clinical informatics at WashU is also CP only and heads Transfusion Medicine at St. Louis Childrens'.