CPhT pay scale

Started by twang2408
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twang2408

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I have been certified nationally and by the state of CA for a few months now. Around 6 months ago I was hired into a RETAIL chain to work at the pharmacy, although I have not received a raise until now. How much do nationally and state certified pharm tech's usually receive in CA per hour?

Anybody out there with personal experience in CA working as a pharm tech in a retail store?

Also I am usually the only tech that works and have learned all the tasks of the pharmacy from ordering to doing outdates, what is a fair amount?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Hey, I have been certified nationally and by the state of CA for a few months now. Around 6 months ago I was hired into a RETAIL chain to work at the pharmacy, although I have not received a raise until now. How much do nationally and state certified pharm tech's usually receive in CA per hour?

Anybody out there with personal experience in CA working as a pharm tech?

Thanks
Yeah I work as a tech in California. I work in a retail setting too where CPhT's top out at $19.00 an hour. I was recently looking for job openings at hospitals in my area and found that they pay CPhT's around $30.00 an hour...the only problem is that the hours are terrible (mostly graveyard shifts).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I work as a tech in California. I work in a retail setting too where CPhT's top out at $19.00 an hour. I was recently looking for job openings at hospitals in my area and found that they pay CPhT's around $30.00 an hour...the only problem is that the hours are terrible (mostly graveyard shifts).

Ya thats pretty good, i'm just working at a retail setting to hold me over till the hospital opens up, i'm doing work there already and I cant wait to get out of retail. 30 an hr starting or for people that have been there? I believe the hospital was telling me 18-20.
 
Starting sal is 45K plus in the federal government (my goal once I am nationally certified).

No it's not. I'm currently a GS-4, step 1, Student Summer Hire, which equates to $13.42/hr. A permanent pharm tech starts at a GS-5, step 1, which is $27,431/yr. This can be adjusted based on location, but no way would it be 45K. You can go to www.usajobs.gov or look up the GS payscale to see for yourself.

Also, by law, you don't have to be certified to work as a Federal pharm tech. Although I am, I don't register w/the state where I'm living - it just helped me get hired. However, all the techs I'm working w/had years of retail experience before getting hired on base. Also, the majority of techs are contractors, not GS, which pays a higher hourly rate but has less benefits.

It's great work though b/c everyone's Tricare. I don't deal w/insurance companies or money. 🙂