Cpmc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plickfu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning out where to apply, and I realized I have at least some notion of each of the CA programs...except CPMC (I guess it's one big shadow they live in?). Any thoughts/comments/impressions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know too much myself (also applying this upcoming cycle). My impression is that while it is a community program, it is still fairly selective/competitive given its location in San Francisco.

You may want to check out this thread, where someone from last cycle debated OHSU vs. CPMC:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689942

Last edited:
Don't know too much myself (also applying this upcoming cycle). My impression is that while it is a community program, it is still fairly selective/competitive given its location in San Francisco.

You may want to check out this thread, where someone from last cycle debated OHSU vs. CPMC:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689942

Interesting. Kind of confirms what I thought. Thanks for the link. Any idea where the OP ended up?

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall he ultimately decided he preferred CPMC over OHSU. He matched at UCLA-SFV. The competition for the west coast programs is fierce so if it's a big deal to you to go back to the west coast be prepared to interview at and rank them all.

so I stumbled across your question, while I was doing a related websearch for our own institution's web page. I'm a 2nd year resident this year at CPMC, and I like our program alot. I think it is a very congenial place to work, I think our residency director chooses people he feels will be collegial and supportive, because in a small program - four per class - that's important. Also, after browsing the OHSU vs CPMC thread I am obliged to point out that (a) we DO have free food, quite often, just not every day (b) it's true we have a paper record system (for now) but it's not difficult to keep digital (MS Word) copies of your notes on a network drive and, thus, have your own de facto electronic medical record system and (c) San Francisco is indeed a staggeringly diverse and friendly city, and this hospital is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country for quality and safety. I enjoy working here. so I hope you will consider sending us an application! good luck ...

so I stumbled across your question, while I was doing a related websearch for our own institution's web page. I'm a 2nd year resident this year at CPMC, and I like our program alot. I think it is a very congenial place to work, I think our residency director chooses people he feels will be collegial and supportive, because in a small program - four per class - that's important. Also, after browsing the OHSU vs CPMC thread I am obliged to point out that (a) we DO have free food, quite often, just not every day (b) it's true we have a paper record system (for now) but it's not difficult to keep digital (MS Word) copies of your notes on a network drive and, thus, have your own de facto electronic medical record system and (c) San Francisco is indeed a staggeringly diverse and friendly city, and this hospital is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country for quality and safety. I enjoy working here. so I hope you will consider sending us an application! good luck ...

Wow, thank you so much for the insider info. I hope I have the fortune to talk with you in person later in the year.

You should definitely apply to CPMC! A year ago I was kind of in your shoes - I knew a lot about the other bay area programs, but hadn't heard about CPMC. I liked what I read on the CPMC psych residency website, but even going into my interview I felt the program was kind of a mystery, and that the main reason I was going to the interview was because of location. However, I was pretty floored by my interview day there. You can read my review here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9118448#post9118448
I tried to stay factual and somewhat neutral in my review, out of paranoia that other residency programs would be checking SDN and figure out who I was and that I really liked somewhere else (silly, I know), so my excitement may not totally show through. I can say, though, that I was ready to rank CPMC #1 after what I saw that day.

I'm now an intern at CPMC, and while I unfortunately can't provide a lot more info on the program (I'm doing my medicine and neuro months first), I can say that all of the residents and faculty really are as nice and happy as they seemed on my interview day, which says a lot, imo.