CPMS/DMU Curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZPOD Rocks

Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am earning a Master's degree in Health Education (medical school emphasis) and have already analyzed the curricular models for all DO and MD schools in the U.S. I have been comparing them in terms of innovation vs. traditional models (aka - 1910 Johns Hopkins model).

DMU asserts and are correct that they are the only podiatric medical school with an integrated curriculum (i.e. - students study systems or regions and must know the anatophysiobiohistoetcetero of the region instead of studying in the traditional, clearly defined subjects such as "anatomy class" and "biochemistry," which are typically separate in teaching methods). The website also maintains that PBL (problem-based learning) is an important part of the educational model but that lecture and other formats are used, as well.

My questions are:
1) How much lecture do you guys attend vs. small group and PBL in the Basic Science phase of your education?
2) Are you normally assessed via multiple choice examinations or other methods?
3) What is your favorite part and least favorite part on the MANNER you are taught/assessed?
4) How bad is academic "burn-out" right now as you near the end of the academic year?

Thank you for responding to these questions.

AZPOD Rocks

P.S. - I should note that NYCPM also mentions using case studies with small groups on their website but I do not know the extent to which these methods are implemented and most everything else seemed to point to a more traditional curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am earning a Master's degree in Health Education (medical school emphasis) and have already analyzed the curricular models for all DO and MD schools in the U.S. I have been comparing them in terms of innovation vs. traditional models (aka - 1910 Johns Hopkins model).

DMU asserts and are correct that they are the only podiatric medical school with an integrated curriculum (i.e. - students study systems or regions and must know the anatophysiobiohistoetcetero of the region instead of studying in the traditional, clearly defined subjects such as "anatomy class" and "biochemistry," which are typically separate in teaching methods). The website also maintains that PBL (problem-based learning) is an important part of the educational model but that lecture and other formats are used, as well.

My questions are:
1) How much lecture do you guys attend vs. small group and PBL in the Basic Science phase of your education?
3) What is your favorite part and least favorite part on the MANNER you are taught/assessed?
4) How bad is academic "burn-out" right now as you near the end of the academic year?

AZPOD Rocks

P.S. - I should note that NYCPM also mentions using case studies with small groups on their website but I do not know the extent to which these methods are implemented and most everything else seemed to point to a more traditional curriculum.

NYCPM is pretty traditional. WE do biochem ppt presentations of a case study, hardly PBL.

Hello,

My questions are:

AZPOD Rocks

1. Lecture is not mandatory, but "highly recommended." Some people go, some people don't, it totally depends on the person, subject matter and lecturer for the day. 1st year, the only real PBL we get are elective courses offered in: Biochem, Anatomy, and other electives on an individual class basis (i.e. differing from year to year). We have case studies that are presented in the lecture material pertinent to the material being covered in a lecture(s), some profs go through them and break them down and others just present the case, give questions for you to study and post answers at a later date.
2. Multiple Choice exclusively in the first 2 years (with maybe some exceptions, but I have yet to hear of any)
3. Likes: Lecture isn't mandatory, good labs (yes, even PD), accessibility to teachers, course packets (detailed notes for each course to study off of), lecture MP3's on the website, faculties interest in teaching and passion for students to succeed
Dislikes: I wish the teachers would actually teach something (maybe I'd go to lecture) instead of reading almost (98%) verbatim from the ppt and class note handouts, leave some out so we have to attend and maybe attendance would go up
4. It's bad for me, not so much burn out, but I just want to be done with first year. At times it's getting hard to study. Most people feel the same. We're just ready to be done with this year and move onto podiatry related study, we've seen little to none this year.

Overall, I feel like I've learned so freakin much. At this point, I don't know how Dr's can retain all the info they do, but from working, I realize you remember what you use and you look up what you don't. Recall is key. Learning it good the first time is great and when you go to look something up, you remember about learning about it and you recall the details, that's good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Addendum:

We don't do any small groups, it's all lecture based and tests/labs/lab quizzes are what makes up your grade, in the electives, you get small groups, but for the required classes, you don't, you just sit in the SEC and listen to the lecturer.

My questions are:

1) Most of the basic science phase is in lecture form. There are PBL courses offered in biochem, renal, microbiology and maybe physiology. The majority of small group, i.e. small group is not part of the program until the second half of the third year.

2) The vast majority is multiple choice, i.e. scan tron testing. In the third year we have oral and written exams. There are also written exams given on the 4th year under the independent reading course.

3)This is tough. I don't know if I have a least favorite part. I really like the systems approach b/c if reviews what we learn in the first year but integrates all of the basic science courses. The PBLs in the third year I believe is the best way to learn the podiatric courses, b/c it is on each student to read and learn the info. You are not just given notes and a lecture and memorize.

4) I do think that burn out is a definite. I think that 1st year and 3rd year is the biggest places burn out occurs. Generally just before Christmas break and the end of the 1st year, it gets bad. But at the same time, you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Going through it is like a badge of courage. We all joke around about it after it is done. In the third year, it gets bad b/c you don't get any breaks after Christmas. So 5 months of straight PBL and clinic wears on the best of us. I have also heard that the 4th years get some bad burn out also b/c we get 1 official month off. But by the fourth year, it is time to start getting ready to be a "grown up."

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Guys!

A former faculty member of DMU had mentioned that PBL occurs in the 3rd year, but I was unsure about your basic sciences portion. I asked about the burn out because there are some studies which indicate PBL and other non-traditional methods reduce student burn out during medical school. However, by and large, the basic sciences portion of your curriculum is "traditional" based on the descriptions you provided (as are all other podiatric medical schools and just over 2/3 of all MD programs and about 3/4 - 4/5 of the DO programs).

Thanks Again,

AZPOD Rocks