CPOE = pharmacy staff cuts?

Started by ethyl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We added on pharmacists after CPOE. Decentralized roles and some specialist positions. The model is evolving but is going in a very positive direction.🙂
 
I've found that CPOE doesn't necessarily eliminate problems with the prescribing process, it just changes their nature. Instead of an illegible order, you'll get an order with the wrong drug picked from a drop down menu. Dosages can still be incorrect; indications can still be wrong. No system is perfect.
 
I've found that CPOE doesn't necessarily eliminate problems with the prescribing process, it just changes their nature. Instead of an illegible order, you'll get an order with the wrong drug picked from a drop down menu. Dosages can still be incorrect; indications can still be wrong. No system is perfect.

Funny you should mention this... exactly what a pharmacist told me concerning the transition from the old system. Definitely a huge adjustment period.
 
Where I am...we are 100% CPOE, electronic charts, everything.... You always need some pharms doing production, but it opens up more clinical positions on the floors.
 
I've found that CPOE doesn't necessarily eliminate problems with the prescribing process, it just changes their nature. Instead of an illegible order, you'll get an order with the wrong drug picked from a drop down menu. Dosages can still be incorrect; indications can still be wrong. No system is perfect.

Yep, we always get problems when it comes to half tablets and whatnot.
 
I like 100% CPOE. We only really have 1-2 pharmacists downstairs during the day checking the techs' work and taking phone calls and dealing with cathlab, er, the specialty outpatient services (rad onc, ortho, ent, etc.). All the other pharmacists are decentralized and calls from their floors route to them. Each pharmacist rounds for their floor (we have transplant one wing and hem/onc on another, for example).

Mostly downstairs they get nurses calling about missing doses, residents asking clinical questions, and stuff like that.
 
^
^
^
^

All lies.. we all know CPOE will cut 30% of inpatient pharmacy workforce.




just kidding. They're correct. I have yet to see a staff reduction due to CPOE and I don't see it happening.
 
Our staff has increased after CPOE. Not because of CPOE (although there is still plenty of work to do fixing and clarifying orders) but because we can do so many other things we wouldn't have had time for before.
 
Where I am...we are 100% CPOE, electronic charts, everything.... You always need some pharms doing production, but it opens up more clinical positions on the floors.

I am unemployed in part because of CPOE. Management chose the B.Sc.Pharms who were least likely to sue because of discrimination, etc., found excuses to kick them out, and are replacing them with Pharm.D./PGY1s - and absolutely treating them like crap because these new grads just don't know any better.

I've been told repeatedly that this place did me a favor in the long run. I was also at the top of the pay scale, so that may have been a factor on top of me being white, childless, not too old, and no disabilities.

😡 :bang: :boom: