CPR/AED recertification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxkrafted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My CPR/AED certification is about to expire soon and i need to renew for work. I've heard that you can get recertification with same 2 year expiration via online classes. American red cross doesn't offer these classes online that meets OSHA requirements for workplace. I know its important to do things live for hands on experience but because this isnt my first time and ive been constraint on time... Does anyone know of any legit ones?

Members don't see this ad.

My CPR/AED certification is about to expire soon and i need to renew for work. I've heard that you can get recertification with same 2 year expiration via online classes. American red cross doesn't offer these classes online that meets OSHA requirements for workplace. I know its important to do things live for hands on experience but because this isnt my first time and ive been constraint on time... Does anyone know of any legit ones?
There are plenty of online CPR classes, but I wouldn't consider any "legit". Take the time to do Red Cross or AHA or you're just wasting time and supporting a shady industry.

Reactions: 1 users
I need to renew mine as well. Just stinks that all the live courses are $80+

I doubt an online course with no live experience will "count" when it comes to using it for your license. In my case my state mandates active BLS for healthcare providers certification in order to give immunizations. I don't think an online certificate will satisfy state requirements or been seen as legit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to renew mine as well. Just stinks that all the live courses are $80+

I doubt an online course with no live experience will "count" when it comes to using it for your license. In my case my state mandates active BLS for healthcare providers certification in order to give immunizations. I don't think an online certificate will satisfy state requirements or been seen as legit.
your jobs don't pay for it????

No job yet :( market is tough for new grads. My state is extremely saturated. May try to work PRN to be able to pay for another state license to get full time somewhere if I can't land anything within a few weeks.
do companies require you have it before you start? We wait until we have a hire on the books then they take BLS and ACLS at the hospital

That's weird, it takes like a day to get BLS certified...id just wait because hospital on-boarding process takes way longer than a day anyway.

Never in my life have I ever said, "Wow, this applicant has BLS certification, gosh darn that'll save my department $50...lets hire him/her!"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's weird, it takes like a day to get BLS certified...id just wait because hospital on-boarding process takes way longer than a day anyway.

Never in my life have I ever said, "Wow, this applicant has BLS certification, gosh darn that'll save my department $50...lets hire him/her!"

actually it would save about $200 (4 hours x $50/hr of paid time) not to be technicall

Yeah, I can't imagine too many jobs would require you to be certified before hiring, most jobs will pay to get you certified once you are hired.

Other than that, I think you can do the classroom part on-line, but to get any kind of valid health-care certification you will still have to pass a live dummy demonstration (haha, that sounds funny, but you know what I mean.)

do companies require you have it before you start? We wait until we have a hire on the books then they take BLS and ACLS at the hospital

One company I had interviewed with said they only offer BLS training with the company once per year and it would be on me to re-certify prior to starting (they didn't mention if it would be reimbursed or not).

actually it would save about $200 (4 hours x $50/hr of paid time) not to be technicall

Oh forgot about paid time, I was thinking the class fee. I figured the Rph would be paid anyway and BLS would just eat into floor training or something.

has anyone been required to perform CPR in the pharmacy?

Despite my efforts to steer students towards the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross, only about 25% get their re-certifications through those providers; the International CPR Institute (http://www.icpri.com/) and Pro First Aid (http://www.profirstaid.com/en/) are where most get their re-certs done.

Experiential sites seem to be okay with these providers, so I have little ground to say they aren't valid re-certs. They just aren't what I would personally choose.

has anyone been required to perform CPR in the pharmacy?

I've got some spaghetti arms, so whenever someone codes in my unit, I look for our lift people and go man the code cart or ADM and push buttons.

I guess if Zika took out our whole hospital staff, I can jump in and pump...