CPR Certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullishMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You don't need CPR certification or anything like that prior to matriculation into med school?

...i know you do for DEntal school just wondering about med school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need CPR certification or anything like that prior to matriculation into med school?

...i know you do for DEntal school just wondering about med school. Thanks.
No, this is not required, and it's not something you should even list on an app. But it's useful for anyone to have...

Almost every school will require and offer it sometime prior to starting 3rd year rotations. No need to worry much about it now unless you want to be prepared to help someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do require BLS certification prior to matriculation. UVA for instance.

Almost every school will require and offer it sometime prior to starting 3rd year rotations. No need to worry much about it now unless you want to be prepared to help someone.

Ahh yes, I should probably be more clear. Like he said it isn't required to matriculate. When you come to rotations that's a different story.

I don't think it's required prior to matriculation. You'll likey get certified in med school if you're not certified already. Regardless, it's a good thing to have and I'd recommend you get trained if you can. I say this as I am a CPR/AED/First Aid instructor for the American Red Cross and train many people, including college students.

Some schools do require certification prior to matriculation... those that have early clinical exposure, for example.

I have to do it for UW, and I'm pretty chapped about having to pay for it.

downstate and others require it prior to matriculating

Some schools do require certification prior to matriculation... those that have early clinical exposure, for example.

I have to do it for UW, and I'm pretty chapped about having to pay for it.

How much do you have to pay for it? I thought it was like $30-$50 for the class through ARC or AHA. When I taught it, I only charged $20 because I wanted to undercut the competition. $30 just doesn't seem like enough to "chap" someone.

Someone said you shouldn't list CPR/AED cert on your application. Is that true? I have to maintain my cert for my job, so I guess it would probably be assumed, but would it be that bad if I listed it?

It would be akin to putting down that you have a full set of teeth.

If you don't have a CPR certification before matriculation.. you haven't been close enough to patients to smell them. I'd be worried that you didn't fully understand what being a physician entails. It's 4 hours on a Wednesday night at your local ambulance company. Meet some medics, learn some physiology. You'll pay thousands for Kaplan, but not 20 bucks for AHA CPR? That's nonsensical to me.

It would be akin to putting down that you have a full set of teeth.

:laugh: I never thought of it like that. I guess the fear of someone thinking you haven't had enough clinical exposure isn't a reason to list it if your job is clinical.

:laugh: I never thought of it like that. I guess the fear of someone thinking you haven't had enough clinical exposure isn't a reason to list it if your job is clinical.

Yeah. It wouldn't be THAT bad, but if I were an adcom and I saw you list it, I would roll my eyes a bit.

It's quite possible to get a lot of clinical exposure without having your CPR registration though.

I never update mine unless I am required to by a job/volunteer position. It's a complete waste of 4 hours.