CPR/first aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am taking a required class over the summer and I was thinking of taking another one. It's a 2 credit class called First Aid and Emergency Medical Services. The description is "Lecture, discussion and practice to train students in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for adults, children and infants. Students will also learn first aid skills related to hemorrhage control, care for musculoskeletal injuries and care for sudden illnesses. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded American Red Cross CPR and first aid certification. " Do you think it would be worth it to take a class like this?

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably take CPR/FA directly from the Red Cross or American Heart Association for a lot less $$ and time commitment. If you're really wanting the credits, though, it wouldn't be a wasted class.

kristy117 said:
I am taking a required class over the summer and I was thinking of taking another one. It's a 2 credit class called First Aid and Emergency Medical Services. The description is "Lecture, discussion and practice to train students in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for adults, children and infants. Students will also learn first aid skills related to hemorrhage control, care for musculoskeletal injuries and care for sudden illnesses. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded American Red Cross CPR and first aid certification. " Do you think it would be worth it to take a class like this?

How much does it cost to take?

Members don't see this ad :)
you should do the EMT-B course. I think you will find it much more informative.

yeah..I was thinking it'd be a lot of money for just certification.
I am supposed to take the EMT class for free with the local volunteer firehouse in the fall. I would do it in the summer except it is very condensed which means it runs a lot of the morning and I will be taking a class.

Red Cross certification only alsts one year. If you can do it through the AHA, theirs lasts two years. You should look into that.

MediMama23 said:
Red Cross certification only alsts one year. If you can do it through the AHA, theirs lasts two years. You should look into that.

The certification lasts one year, but if you renew within the one year (with a 30-day grace period), all you have to do is take a 2-hour skills review course.

At the Red Cross, it's $36.00 for Adult CPR. If you add First Aid to that, it's an additional $15, I believe, but don't quote me on that. You can call and ask.

ACPR is a four-hour course. ACPR/FA is usually a 5 1/2-6 1/2-hour course. If you want your AED certification, tack on another half hour. If you want to do everything (Child, Infant, and Adult CPR, FA, and AED), it's around 9 hours, usually offered on Saturdays, but you'll find some weekday classes too.

Gabby said:
The certification lasts one year, but if you renew within the one year (with a 30-day grace period), all you have to do is take a 2-hour skills review course.

At the Red Cross, it's $36.00 for Adult CPR. If you add First Aid to that, it's an additional $15, I believe, but don't quote me on that. You can call and ask.

ACPR is a four-hour course. ACPR/FA is usually a 5 1/2-6 1/2-hour course. If you want your AED certification, tack on another half hour. If you want to do everything (Child, Infant, and Adult CPR, FA, and AED), it's around 9 hours, usually offered on Saturdays, but you'll find some weekday classes too.

wow..yeah thats damn cheap in comparison. this is graded but 2 credits won't do much anyway..

Prices vary depending on where you are, but probably not by much.

I went through the AHA and paid $25 for a 3-hour AIC training. Red Cross AIC CPR is $45 for an all day affair. The company that I went with doesn't offer FA, so I'd probably have to go through RC. Red Cross FA in my area is $30. CPR/FA through Red Cross in my area is $55 but again, is an all-day affair, whether just CPR or CPR/FA. For me, time is money.

Meh. Do what you have to do to get the certification, be it for one year or two. It is a good thing to have. :thumbup:

MediMama23 said:
Prices vary depending on where you are, but probably not by much.

I went through the AHA and paid $25 for a 3-hour AIC training. Red Cross AIC CPR is $45 for an all day affair. The company that I went with doesn't offer FA, so I'd probably have to go through RC. Red Cross FA in my area is $30. CPR/FA through Red Cross in my area is $55 but again, is an all-day affair, whether just CPR or CPR/FA. For me, time is money.

Meh. Do what you have to do to get the certification, be it for one year or two. It is a good thing to have. :thumbup:

You paid $45 for Adult, Infant, and Child CPR, but paid ten dollars more for ACPR and First Aid. Is there any chance you have the prices reversed?

I'm not sure where you went, but ACPR/FA at the Red Cross isn't an all day affair. I'm an instructor and I'm staring at my instructor booklet, which says the course is 5 1/2 hours. Some instructors pad, some use up the whole thing, and a few may go over if they have more than 10 people in their class or if one student is having difficulty with a skill. AIC CPR will take longer, as I said, but if you do AIC CPR, FA, and AED, it's nine hours. I don't know of a CPR class that lasts longer than that.

Gabby said:
You paid $45 for Adult, Infant, and Child CPR, but paid ten dollars more for ACPR and First Aid. Is there any chance you have the prices reversed?

I'm not sure where you went, but ACPR/FA at the Red Cross isn't an all day affair. I'm an instructor and I'm staring at my instructor booklet, which says the course is 5 1/2 hours. Some instructors pad, some use up the whole thing, and a few may go over if they have more than 10 people in their class or if one student is having difficulty with a skill. AIC CPR will take longer, as I said, but if you do AIC CPR, FA, and AED, it's nine hours. I don't know of a CPR class that lasts longer than that.

I paid $25 for AIC CPR. That's it. The prices I'm giving are from my local Red Cross. I never had FA. The times listed for CPR/FA are from 8a-5p. The times listed for FA alone is 5-9p. I don't know if instructors use up all that time, because I haven't bothered to take a class with Red Cross.

But I think I'm getting off topic. My point, OP, is that if you can find a cheap class, go for it. If you can find a class that gives you 2-year certification, go for it. If you can't, get in where you fit in.

Peace.

Hi all, Red Cross Instructor here. I just want to pass along that all of you will more than likely have to take a full course again when your certifications go out for CPR. This being because the format of the course, as well as the way techniques are performed have been changed. I also have to go through a renewal course before I am able to certify people again. So, no challenging for recertification for ARC this time around. I usually do Authorized Provider trainings, so we library the manuals and therefore only charge $5 for each card. The manuals can get quite expensive, though and ARC regulations say that every participant must have one. Therefore you may be paying anywhere from 10-15.00 for each manual you receive, depending on what your local chapter charges your instructor for it. The materials purchased account for most of the money raised for operating costs of your local chapter, along with private donations.

MediMama23 said:
I paid $25 for AIC CPR. That's it. The prices I'm giving are from my local Red Cross. I never had FA. The times listed for CPR/FA are from 8a-5p. The times listed for FA alone is 5-9p. I don't know if instructors use up all that time, because I haven't bothered to take a class with Red Cross.

The regular FA class is four hours, but if you take both CPR and FA, it's only 5 1/2 and the reason is because the entire first half of FA is what you cover in the CPR class (good samaritan laws, using gloves, disease transmission, etc.). That 8-5 for CPR/FA sounds insane! I wonder why it takes that long.

Anyway, thanks to BirdmanRA for correcting me on the review classes. I haven't been told how they're going to handle that and it hadn't occurred to me, but I guess it's safe to say review classes won't work this time, though if the OP takes the class this summer, a review class will work for her since we've already switched to the new standards. I'm taking my instructor recertification class on Thursday night.

MediMama23 said:

CPR card is good for 1 year, as well as AED. The general first aid responding to emergencies card is good for 3 years. That's how my cards work anyway (Red Cross)

Avalanche21 said:
CPR card is good for 1 year, as well as AED. The general first aid responding to emergencies card is good for 3 years. That's how my cards work anyway (Red Cross)

If you go through the American Heart Association, CPR certification is good for 2 years.

MediMama23 said:
If you go through the American Heart Association, CPR certification is good for 2 years.

I wasn't saying you were wrong, which probably means I shouldn't have done a reply to your specific message. I was just giving all the info I had on the first aid cards since I hadn't seen any covering all three cards yet.

kristy117 said:
yeah..I was thinking it'd be a lot of money for just certification.
I am supposed to take the EMT class for free with the local volunteer firehouse in the fall. I would do it in the summer except it is very condensed which means it runs a lot of the morning and I will be taking a class.

If you are planning to take the EMT course, I would skip the CPR/FA course. You will get that and more in the EMT course. One other recommendation I would make would to also join an ambulance so that you actually use your EMT card. You can make some money from it and once you are in medical school you will have a small advantage over the others.

I actually just called the American Heart Association..expecting to just get info on CPR classes from an automated message but someone actually answered. The firehouse near me has CPR classes there. I'm just gonna try to take the EMT class there since I think that'd be more useful.