cpt coding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good link to a document that breaks down the various CPT codes and what is required in the documentation to bill for that code? E.g. a 99212 versus 99213 versus 99214, etc. And for psychiatry specifically. I see in some basic articles that it mentions things like for 99214 you need at least 4 HPI elements, 2 ROS elements, and 1 PFSH element. But what exactly counts for each say, HPI or PFSH element? Just looking to see if there is a more thorough breakdown of what exactly is required in our documentation. Sorry if this sounds so obvious, I'm getting out of residency and starting work soon and I never really had to deal with these fine details. All I ever was required to do was fill out the templates for whatever service I was on.

Members don't see this ad.

do a search this has been discussed ad nauseam the APA and AACAP (and here and here) both produce stuff on this and NY psychiatric association has some templates for notes
As is pretty obvious, I'm very new both to becoming an attending as well as to the forum. I have searched before and I'm working on becoming more proficient on it (I've turned up some similar or identical links to what you gave but some of what you've linked was more concise and to the point, hence why I'm asking on the forum). I do know billing has been discussed by many but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consult on the forum to see if others know of files/links that are more helpful. A simple directing me to the links would have been plenty sufficient and gotten your word across.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users