CPT for piriformis injection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnylingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What CPT code are you using for piriformis injection?

Seems that different insurers will reimburse (I hate that term) for different codes. I've had these denied. Any thoughts?

From internet search, I've seen 64999, 20999, and I've been using 20552 (trigger point), but piriformis is more technical than trigger point, so any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

From a technique standpoint, should piriformis injections always be done with fluoro?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope it should be done with ultrasound. Read Hurdle's paper.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Benzon's paper on fluoro technique.

Can bill as trigger point, tendon injection, sciatic block depending on how you feel about coding.

Steve do you have a link to this?

20552 or 20550 with fluoro if truly doing just piriformis with pain in the buttocks, however have had a few local athletes with "sciatica" and normal imaging and no response to esi that did piriformis injection but wanted to "block" sciatic nerve at same area and billed for sciatic nerve block. - rare but have done it.

Fraud no, controversial yes.

Billing for muscle injection or nerve block is up to the MD. The procedure is the same and meds could vary depending on MD. :p

its really only a few bucks. bill the TPI or muscle/tendon injection and move on.