Crack DAT MATH or MATH DESTROYER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhouse3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crack Dat MAth or Math Destroyer:
Is one of these better than the other for QR?

Members don't see this ad.

I've used destroyer on my second dat and it was definately not enough. I bought CDP Math and it is ridiculously hard compared to destroyer. There isn't a source that has many word problems like the real test so I would go with the hardest there is and try to brush up on everything.

I have used the math destroyer. Honestly it is the only book out there that offers 9 or 10 full practice exams with explanations at the end. I have also used crack the dat math but the that didnt help me at all because they barely explain the answers. i was shocked at how briefly they attempted to explain some really hard math problems. I would def go with the destroyer on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
crack math... destroyer is way too easy...

the explanations on crack math really suck though so start doing this stuff early... I got very similar questions on my actual DAT, I wish I would've spent more time studying crack math. On test day I got through the same amount of problems as I did on crack math and ended up getting the score I was averaging.

I've used destroyer on my second dat and it was definately not enough. I bought CDP Math and it is ridiculously hard compared to destroyer. There isn't a source that has many word problems like the real test so I would go with the hardest there is and try to brush up on everything.
What do you mean word problems?

Dang I did one of those Crack Math tests and it is ridiculously hard. Is the DAT really that hard?

ex: This age problem is ridiculous. A mom is 2x as old as the son. In 6 years, the ratio is 5:2. How old was she 2 years ago. It's not exactly the age problems they have on the SAT.

I have to say CDM is pretty good. Recently they got a video solutions that a guy explains the whole question and solves it for you on white board. I used it and I am also going to use destroyer math and practice more..
since the CDM has timing, its a lil stressing and thats why you think its harder. I think DAT destroyer present much more q's similar to the real DAT, bbut ofcourse you GOT to time youself and know every Q's

practice, practice.. and practice... at least an hr a day..starting today..

good luck

Crack DAT Math is easier/about the same as real DAT.

Oh say it aint so Joe. LOL. That stuff is hard man. But those videos are so horribly made. They couldnt afford a decent camera? I cant even see most of the problems most of the time. They definitely need to zoom in to the whiteboard or have better resolution.

Dang I did one of those Crack Math tests and it is ridiculously hard. Is the DAT really that hard?

ex: This age problem is ridiculous. A mom is 2x as old as the son. In 6 years, the ratio is 5:2. How old was she 2 years ago. It's not exactly the age problems they have on the SAT.

Is this example itself correct? You can only get a negative integral for the answer but people don't count their ages into negative category. Theoretically, the ratio should go smaller as time goes, but not larger. The question itself is not hard at all, but if it is not a correct question to start with, I would seriously doubt about how helpful CDM will be to us.

Can OP double check the question you posted? Thanks.

i agree with longsui, i get a negative number

let x be the sons age

let y be the moms age

y = 2x

in six years

y+6=2.5(x+6)
y +6 = 2.5x+15
y = 2.5x +9

now u have left
y = 2x
y = 2.5x +9

subtract the equations to solve for x

0 = .5x +9
-9/.5 = x
x = -18

so today the son is -18, which makes her -36 - 2 = -38.....doesnt make sense.

He probably meant 6 years AGO (not IN 6 yrs) the age ratio was 5:2 and today, the ratio is 2:1 and not the other way around, which then will yield a plausible answer....

y-6=(5/2)(x-6)
y=2.5x-9

taking the difference of above and y=2x, we get...
0=0.5x-9, so
x=18 for the son and...

y=2x=2(18)=36 for momma bear

36/18 = 2:1 ratio in t=1
30/12 = 5:2 ratio in t=0...or 6 years ago.

Agree?:thumbup:

I'm gon have to give my vote to math destroyer hands down the best resource for math.....i've used kaplan for a basic review......and it did not have any problems even close to math destroyer and math destroyer comes with 400 problems .........that entire book is dedicated to straight up math problems and good solutions .....no other book has anything like that and crack dat math is way too difficult in terms of the real test and solutions are horrible on that with very little explanations.

Here's what I got:
Take the first ratio. Compare it to the other. The difference: The second ratio is the result of six years addition to the first. Here's what I mean:

Set up ratios as proportions.
2:1 = 2/1
5:2 = 5/2

Set proportions equal to each other when they follow the condition of 6 years later:
(2/1)x + 6 = (5/2)x
2x + 6 = 2.5x
0.5x = 6
x = 12

Now comes the confusion in the information you provided:
If x = 12,
2x = 24

Try 2:1 ratio of 24:12
Add six years and we have 30:18 ratio a 5:3 ratio between the ages six years after.

Did you mean 5:3 instead of 5:2?

If so, then the answer to the question "How old was she 2 years ago?" should be "22 years old".