cranial nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am getting bogged down with this. Should we/do we have to know all the fibers they carry (visceral, motor, sens, etc). and moreover, their respective nuclei for each of the differnt types of fibers? I know most of the neuro questions are with tracts/blood supply and id's, but i wonder if i should memorize all this stuff about the cranial nerves--we had to know it for class, but wondering what u guys think--esp. recent test takers--thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely know the cranial nerve nuclei, where they exit the brain, and where they leave the skull. Don't bother with memorizing the fiber types -- if you know what the nerve does you'll be able to figure out the fiber types, and I didn't have a single question about that anyway.

maybe just konw the general levels so you can figure out lesion questions like which ones on in lower medulla etc, i dont think im going to memorize fibre types and where each one leaves the skull, are u crazy? or should i.. i think imjmust going with function of each CN and its location in regards to lesions. i cant recall now but there is something tricky like if you have a lower medullary lesion you lose facial pain/sens on the ipsi side and if you have a higher pons you lose it on the contrlat side due to how CN V nuclei and fibres run in the brainstem.. im not saying that is the right info i just am saying there is a few tricky things like that , that i think would be good to konw info. i hate that ****