Crap jobs in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like they've already pulled their graph....can't seem to find it anywhere on their website.
It’s still there under Jobs tab. It does take some time to show up, especially on mobile devices.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would pathologyoutlines have an agenda to mask the crap job market? If anything, wouldn’t Pernick make more in advertising during the boom times? If he is truly a proponent for the specialty, he should agree that an oversupply is not beneficial for pathologists in the trenches.

CAP does not give two ships about pathologists. It completely dedicated to padding its own pockets and colluding with its corporate friends. Stop volunteering with them and stop giving them money. CAP is the enemy. We need an organization that actually represents pathologists and not Labcorp.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would pathologyoutlines have an agenda to mask the crap job market?

an organization that actually represents pathologists and not Labcorp.
You post contains both the question and the answer. We are very similar to rads, but my guess is that if any radiologist applies for a job, they don’t get outright rejected or ghosted as I was 5 out of 5 times in the last 6 mo in this supposedly “hot” job market :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You post contains both the question and the answer. We are very similar to rads, but my guess is that if any radiologist applies for a job, they don’t get outright rejected or ghosted as I was 5 out of 5 times in the last 6 mo in this supposedly “hot” job market :D
Lotta ghosting going on in 1987 too. Market was tight but pay was way, way better with advancement.

I can't imagine posting a job and hiring someone that we don't know. All of our jobs are word of mouth. We have to know what we are hiring.

You better be out there making friends if you want to go anywhere in this field.

I can't imagine posting a job and hiring someone that we don't know. All of our jobs are word of mouth. We have to know what we are hiring.

You better be out there making friends if you want to go anywhere in this field.
Most pathologists in private practice don’t socialize (aka go to local pathology meetings) nor I don’t think they’d want to after a long day of work.

You can cold call when applying and if they are interested, you can get an interview. It’s not easy to make connections with pathologists in private practice unless you call them up directly and talk on the phone. You have to basically stalk their group is what I’m saying.

Talk to the president of the group. If you can’t get ahold of him or her then usually a group will have a manager.

Reactions: 1 user
We generally hire from the local big academic centers for people right out of fellowship because we know the attendings there and trust their opinions of their trainees. Or we hire from other local hospitals/groups for more experienced pathologists. I don't think we've ever hired anyone who simply cold called or applied to work with us. We also don't post national job postings or really any public postings.

Reactions: 2 users
We generally hire from the local big academic centers for people right out of fellowship because we know the attendings there and trust their opinions of their trainees. Or we hire from other local hospitals/groups for more experienced pathologists. I don't think we've ever hired anyone who simply cold called or applied to work with us. We also don't post national job postings or really any public postings.
I’m not surprised. Good pathology jobs are mostly word of mouth and when I mean good, I mean good pay and strong groups.

I don’t blame you for going the word of mouth route. There are some lazy graduating residents out there with questionable diagnostic skills or personality issues. I wouldn’t want to bring on an unknown commodity that seemed to be a strong candidate during interviews only to get burned when they start working and can’t get along with other people.

Good jobs can be had through pathoutlines though.

in my experience, this is/was typical.

One reason why you should train locally and be at the right institution so that you are in the loop when it comes to jobs.

One reason why you should train locally and be at the right institution so that you are in the loop when it comes to jobs.
Yep. Train where you want to end up geographically after residency/fellowship, because local connections are the easiest ones to get from your mentors/attendings.

Where are we on the food chain? I'd like to say scared rabbit, but that might be giving pathology a rosier outlook than we deserve. Are we the decomposers? I doubt it - then there would be more jobs.

Attachments

• 1719502245847.png
    1719502245847.png
    501 KB · Views: 32
Where are we on the food chain? I'd like to say scared rabbit, but that might be giving pathology a rosier outlook than we deserve. Are we the decomposers? I doubt it - then there would be more jobs.

Opposum. Opportunistic loners. When our buddy gets hit by a car, we don't feel sad. We think to ourselves "I now have a meal".