Craziness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john9192

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay,
I'll be applying next cycle.
I've been waiting for this to happen since like high school!
but the concern that I have is..
It seems like there are tooooo much pre-dental people.
It's getting higher and higher..
From my school, I could think of more than 20 people straight off my head who will be applying in 2008. Now. My stats are average (3.4 ish, DAT not taken, extracurricular=work at dental office, shadow, volunteer, tutor).
I know there are people with 3.7+ GPA with 20+ DAT and good extracurricular activities. What could I do to improve my whole application!!

Members don't see this ad.

rock the DAT and start talking to the admissions people at a couple of the schools you are interested in.

okay,
I'll be applying next cycle.
I've been waiting for this to happen since like high school!
but the concern that I have is..
It seems like there are tooooo much pre-dental people.
It's getting higher and higher..
From my school, I could think of more than 20 people straight off my head who will be applying in 2008. Now. My stats are average (3.4 ish, DAT not taken, extracurricular=work at dental office, shadow, volunteer, tutor).
I know there are people with 3.7+ GPA with 20+ DAT and good extracurricular activities. What could I do to improve my whole application!!

study hard for DAT and sharpen up your interview skills. Interviews are just as important if not more than your GPA or DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are still trying to pick schools, I'd go with UNC. Not the Case is a bad school but it is in Cleveland and you would have to pay a ton more. But different people have different priorities and you should go where you think you will enjoy the next 4 years of your life the most. You'll be a doctor either way.

i go to a medium size state school and we have like 6 people apply for 2007 and all but one of us got in.... there are a lot more people applying but there is a lot of opportunity to get in just pick your schools carefully and make sure you do well on the DAT and apply early have the app done in may

If you are still trying to pick schools, I'd go with UNC. Not the Case is a bad school but it is in Cleveland and you would have to pay a ton more. But different people have different priorities and you should go where you think you will enjoy the next 4 years of your life the most. You'll be a doctor either way.

UNC is crawling its way up to the top of my list for sure! I'm an Undergrad at UNC and I'm a tar heel myself. I would not think about the North and Northeast if North Carolina as a state is as liberal and free as UNC-chapel hill. If I go to UNC for another 4 yrs...I would have to put fences around UNC.

UNC is crawling its way up to the top of my list for sure! I'm an Undergrad at UNC and I'm a tar heel myself. I would not think about the North and Northeast if North Carolina as a state is as liberal and free as UNC-chapel hill. If I go to UNC for another 4 yrs...I would have to put fences around UNC.

So I take it you won't be practicing in NC then. I wonder if UNC will change over to the pass/fail group system...

To the OP -- I was doing some lite studying in the atrium of the science department of my school the other day, and I overheard a fairly large group of students talking about how "they'll probably just apply to dental school or something."

It seems like lots of people consider dental school to be "just grad. school" like pharmacy or optometry school, whereas medical school is viewed more as a physically and mentally taxing journey (or something like that). I honestly think that the residency following medical school is one of the only road-blocks that prevents some people from pursuing medical school. Some students I've talked to have the attitude, "Why go to pharmacy school when dental school takes the exact same amount of time and there is a no-ceiling income potential, like being a physician?"