Crazy to not go to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachelMann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some SDN advice....
I just got an interview invite at NYU. I live in California. I am also finishing school. These are two reasons that it would be hard for me to get to NY to interview there. They also seem really haphazard about the invite (ie no suggested places to stay or help with transportation). I am generally getting a bad vibe about the whole thing. I don't know if I am crazy to think about blowing it off....For the record I just interviewed at U of Chicago, Umich and have UCSD coming up...what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

schedule for a late date and if you don't hear from the schools you interviewed at, then go ahead and interview at NYU.

GOOOOOOO! until you have an acceptance, i think it's a good idea to interview everywhere. you never know what's going to happen. besides, my experience with NYU med students is that they ADORE it. they may be giving off a bad vibe now, but i think that they really make a positive impression on their students. just my $.02. if you could coordinate it with other NYC or even northeast US interviews, it might make it more worth your while :).

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the decision is really up to u.
u dont sound like u are excited about the nyc interview, and if u think u did well on ur other interviews then maybe u shouldnt go.
but if u put an effort into it i am pretty sure u could find somewhere to stay and well i am sure u know this but the number of interviews u have dont necessarily guarantee an acceptance, so the more interviews u go well the better ur chances,
but this is just my opinion!

If I were you, I would go. But I have to agree about the bad vibes from NYU; they seem a little disorganized.

My advice.... go. Once you have an acceptance, then you have the luxury of turning down interviews.

I thought my interview at a school went great.... the interviewer told me flat out that he wanted me in the school, and introduced me as the guy they were "recruiting". But I was waitlisted. So you should make sure you ensure an acceptance somewhere before you turn things down.

NYC is incredible.

rachelmann,
would you mind posting or pm'ing me your numbers? i'm a bit interested in nyu and was wondering if i have a shot at an interview. also, may i ask when you submitted your application? i submitted mine in late aug. and haven't heard anything.

p. parker

A quote from an AMSA survey about NYU: "The administration seems disorganized, and the program lacks coherence"

Link: [link]http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm [/link]

Originally posted by chopsuey
GOOOOOOO! until you have an acceptance, i think it's a good idea to interview everywhere. you never know what's going to happen. besides, my experience with NYU med students is that they ADORE it. they may be giving off a bad vibe now, but i think that they really make a positive impression on their students. just my $.02. if you could coordinate it with other NYC or even northeast US interviews, it might make it more worth your while :).

did you call my name? or did i hear it wrong?

confused goooooooooloogooloo

My advice is to GO!!!!!! I was in a similar situation to yours last year. My heart was set on going to UMiami, and I thought that with my grades, MCAT, and the fact that I attended UMiami undergrad that I would definitely get into UMiami. So, I felt that I had no reason to go to my UF interview. After all, I had no desire to attend that school. However, it turns out that I got waitlisted at Miami for eight months!!! I was kicking myself for not having attended my UF interview because I had some pretty good chances of getting in there. In the end, it all worked out, but it could have easily turned into a disaster for me. I was definitely sweating bullets for those eight months though. ;)

i'm sorta of the opinion similar to the masses that say 'until you have an acceptance, go to the interview.' while this is true, for the most part, you do seem definitely nonplussed about the school and the interview... i turned down an interview b/c i decided i wasn't interested in the school afterall. but if you're just shooting wildly for a school to accept you, then by all means, go to the interview. if there is something specific about NYU that really rings wonderfully to you and you're interested in potentially attending med school there, then go. if you're at all curious about NYC and about the school, then go. this is a crapshoot after all - but if you were to be accepted and think that you wouldn't really go to NYU, then there is nothing wrong w/turning down the interview. someone who really wants to go there would surely appreciate the open interview spot.