Creating postdoc position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkFreud02

Reaction score
I am currently completing my internship at a well known AMC and have began thinking about the job market/postdoc search. In talking to some faculty about the post doc year, they mentioned it could be possible to create my own role for the next year and stay at this site, which is a very attractive opportunity. Ideally, the post doc would be primarily clinically focused, as I do not foresee myself in a research career and also have little to no interest in writing a grant right now. This obviously makes funding look different, but I would assume that funding for the position could possibly come from having a clinical caseload, completing assessments, presurgical evals, and having other clinical responsibilities. I would like to understand how clinical postdocs are funded before speaking to the decision makers on our faculty. Yet, I know little to nothing about how something like this gets funded. Can anyone provide any input!? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend that you ask the person who mentioned that possibility to you for more details, or a reference to someone who could provide more details. This sort of thing varies substantially by site, in my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed on the variability by site/organization. In general, a successfully funded clinical postdoc demonstrates that your total cost (salary, benefits, payroll taxes, etc) are less than what the hospital is paid for your clinical services. An established postdoc has data to justify these continued costs to hospital admin and can also demonstrate the postdoc will be able to stay busy. If there seems to be high current demand for clinical services, that would be a positive.

What will likely be an important variable is how much admin is required to propose and then oversee the day-to-day operations and whether a faculty member would assume this responsibility so definitely reach out to that/those faculty and figure out how realistic this may be.

In all likelihood, there are other already established postdocs that can provide equal/superior training. I found the postdoc application process much easier/smoother than internship and training at a different site can also be beneficial.

Reactions: 2 users