Credential Evaluation for H1B visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samdaman

Que Sera Sera
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I had a question for all those International Medical Graduates who have applied for an H1B visa this year, or are going to do so pretty soon. Have your lawyers, or your programs advised you on getting a credential evaluation for your foreign degree? I understand that the ECFMG certificate is supposed to do just that, but I have heard that recently, the INS is requesting all applicants to send credential evaluations. My lawyer tells me that medical degrees do not require credential evaluation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hi samdaman, credential evaluation is not needed for H1B visa application. you need to give your lawyer copies of all your USMLE scores, ECFMG certificate, updated CV, present visa and I-94 if applicable, a copy of the contract signed by the PD and yourself, a copy of your medical diploma, the lawyer's fee (of course) and the filing fee(s) $130, (if your hospital is exempt from the $1000 fee, otherwise you may need to add $1000), and an additional $1000 if you want to go for premium processing.

you may also need to contact the state medical board of the state where your program is located for them to send you or your lawyer a letter for the INS stating that you are eligible to receive a physician's-in-training permit/license (whatever it's called in the state where you're going to do your training).

hope this helps.

hi nitewing,

Thank you for your reply. I have done all of that, and am currently waiting for the State Medical Board to issue me the training license, before I can apply for the H1B visa. As I said earlier, my lawyer said something similar about credential evaluation not being required for medical degree holders. However, quite recently, a few friends of mine who applied for the H1B without credential evaluation have received instructions from the INS to send them the same. What I was wondering if there has been a change in policy in this regard?
Thanks once again
-samdaman

hi samdaman, when i applied for H1B, i was not required to send a credential evaluation. i would trust my lawyer, if i were you. if your lawyer is well-versed on immigration laws, i would take his word for it. try contacting the state medical board -- you just need a letter from them stating that you're eligible for a training permit for H1B visa processing and approval -- it worked for me, it would probably work for you, too.

Hi nitewing,

I am currently in the process of getting the Pennsylvania training license, and its painfully slow. My lawyer who is based in pennsylvania as well told me that i need the license before I can apply for the H1B. However, it is a good point that you are making about getting a letter from the state board for H1B processing. But I don't know if it would work for Pennsylvania. Like for example, my application is in process for a fact, so maybe they can add that they will issue me a license shortly or something on those lines. Which state did you get the letter from? This would definitely make life a lot easier and the wait much shorter..
Thanks once again
-S

Hi samdaman,

I probably should have told you that I got my H1B visa and started my training last year. And that I was in my home country when my visa was approved. So your situation may be different from mine. (also my lawyer was/is from DC)

I am doing my residency here in Texas. The TSBME sent this letter to the USINS: "This serves as confirmation that (my name) is eligible for a Postgraduate Resitdent Permit effective (date) to perform his/her clinical duties with (name of hospital), upon approval of his/her application for a postgraduate resident permit.

The Postgraduate Resident permit is issued on an annual basis and is renewable for the period in which the physician is receiving graduate medical education with the designated institution indicated above for a maximum of 12 years.

All postgraduate resident permits are issued in accordance with the State of Texas regulations, Board rules and institutional policies, which include but are not restricted to funding and employment eligibility."

Hope this helps.