Credentialed as PMR pain instead of Anesthesia Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Painologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of starting a new solo practice next month. Some of my insurance commercial contracts are starting to come through just on time (started the process in January). I noticed the credentialing company I hired labeled me as PMR/Pain instead of Anesthesiology/Pain. I mentioned this to them and they said it will not make a difference and billing should be fine. Should I have them update this or just roll with it? I don't want to put any of my contracts in jeopardy...

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in the process of starting a new solo practice next month. Some of my insurance commercial contracts are starting to come through just on time (started the process in January). I noticed the credentialing company I hired labeled me as PMR/Pain instead of Anesthesiology/Pain. I mentioned this to them and they said it will not make a difference and billing should be fine. Should I have them update this or just roll with it? I don't want to put any of my contracts in jeopardy...
What a lazy-ass credentialing company. You should insist on them changing it. They can’t guarantee it won’t bite you in the butt later.

Reactions: 1 users
What a lazy-ass credentialing company. You should insist on them changing it. They can’t guarantee it won’t bite you in the butt later.
Changing it would not restart the credentialing process, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing it would not restart the credentialing process, correct?
To be honest, it might. It depends on how much of a stickler the insurance companies are. But then imagine if they find out you’re not the specialty you claim to be - that would be a huge blow-up if they wanted to be jerks later. There’s probably something in the contracts you sign with them stating all the information you provide is correct. What if they start pulling back payments or something??

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, it might. It depends on how much of a stickler the insurance companies are. But then imagine if they find out you’re not the specialty you claim to be - that would be a huge blow-up if they wanted to be jerks later. There’s probably something in the contracts you sign with them stating all the information you provide is correct. What if they start pulling back payments or something??
Thanks, I’m considering all options. My credentialing company is claiming they credential all of their pain docs as PMR… I see where they’re coming from considering we bill the same codes

Depends on the payer. Our PMR doc is not interventional.
Some of our privates are 120-170% medicare. I think some of our PMR docs are < medicare.

i wouldnt mess with the process right now. You can and should try correcting it later after you are set up and running IF there are no pauses in your payments.

Reactions: 1 user