Credentialing background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yertle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a great offer from a large medical group and am about to start the credentialing process. The problem is, years ago I had a misdemeanor charge that was dismissed and reduced to an infraction, which was later expunged. I don’t want to divulge too much information because I’m paranoid my employer is creeping the boards. I was able to get my state license and had gotten through residency with this blemished record just fine. That being said, does anyone know anyone who had difficulties with the credentialing process due to a past criminal conviction (being denied privileges; an offer being rescinded)? It would be great to hear from anyone who is familiar with the credentialing process and/or is on the credentialing committee. I saw some similar threads from a couple years ago, but no idea what happened to the OPs in my predicament. I’m just so scared that even though I’ve finished all my training that I would still be unemployable.. this indiscretion in my past has kept me up many nights, and is continuing to do so now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one cares about an expunged conviction, unless it pointed to additional problems, e.g., substance abuse. If it was not an issue for the state medical board, it is very unlikely that it would be an issue for an employer or for credentials.

However, not providing information that is required, or lying about required information is pretty much an automatic rejection. As they say in Washington, "it is not the crime, it is the cover-up."