Credit Card Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I do not have a credit card. I use mostly my debit card.
If I apply now thry my back, I am likely to get a secured Credit Card with approx $49 annual fee. I do not have any credit history.
What are my chances gettinmg a credit card once I join a med school?
Will there some new banks give some attraction th enew stuents when they reach new city?

Or my best bet to goo ahead to spend $49 and get a secured card.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I do not have a credit card. I use mostly my debit card.
If I apply now thry my back, I am likely to get a secured Credit Card with approx $49 annual fee. I do not have any credit history.
What are my chances gettinmg a credit card once I join a med school?
Will there some new banks give some attraction th enew stuents when they reach new city?

Or my best bet to goo ahead to spend $49 and get a secured card.

Are you still in college? If you are, look into US Bank credit card. They gave me a card without credit history (since I was student) and no annual fee. The credit line at the beginning was not that great though (~$500-1000) but they will increase with time depending on how on time you pay your monthly bill. Hope this helps :)

Word. USBank has taken care me. Credit care with no annual.

Members don't see this ad :)
do not get a secured credit card--they are for people with bad credit, not NO credit. i had this problem when i first started shopping for credit cards.

the easiest way to get credit is to piggy-back off your parents or family and ask them to add your name to an account. of course, do this only if your parents have good credit.

the second easiest way is to look into student credit cards. discover can be lenient to students, but check around campus for credit card ads. use how much financial aid you are getting per month as your monthly salary. they can be very generous with modestly high APRs and no annual fees. try to use your card regularly but do not carry a balance (credit card debt is the last resort). Easiest way is to use it for gas and groceries only.

credit cards you want to avoid as your first credit card is capital one and american express. these credit cards do not report your credit limit to the credit bureaus, which will affect your score. After your first credit card (with no annual fee), then i recommend getting american express b/c they have very generous offers and good perks.

Thanks for quick responses.
I am out of school and right now working and get direct deposit to my bank account.
I am joining med school next year.
As I do not have any credit history, will I et student loan for my med school?
I got loan in my college and my parents plan to pay it off soon.

If I get added with my parent's credit card, will it build my credit history?

do not get a secured credit card--they are for people with bad credit, not NO credit. i had this problem when i first started shopping for credit cards.

the easiest way to get credit is to piggy-back off your parents or family and ask them to add your name to an account. of course, do this only if your parents have good credit.

the second easiest way is to look into student credit cards. discover can be lenient to students, but check around campus for credit card ads. use how much financial aid you are getting per month as your monthly salary. they can be very generous with modestly high APRs and no annual fees. try to use your card regularly but do not carry a balance (credit card debt is the last resort). Easiest way is to use it for gas and groceries only.

credit cards you want to avoid as your first credit card is capital one and american express. these credit cards do not report your credit limit to the credit bureaus, which will affect your score. After your first credit card (with no annual fee), then i recommend getting american express b/c they have very generous offers and good perks.

This. Also, check out Chase, I do all my banking with them (I've got both a debit card and a credit card). They give 5% cash back and no annual fee on the Chase Freedom card: https://www2.chase.com/creditcards

Thanks for quick responses.
I am out of school and right now working and get direct deposit to my bank account.
I am joining med school next year.
I got loan in my college and my parents plan to pay it off soon.

Yes you will get student loans for med school. They are fairly easy to get especially if you are getting federal loans. I don't have a credit card either and have been easily able to get student loans for undergrad and grad school...without going through my parents, so on my own. I am also going into med school next year. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The grad plus loans require that you have no bad credit. Having no credit will not hurt you.

Yes.