"Credit Hours"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for asking this question again but I can't seem to get an answer. [I've called and emailed OptomCAS, but they just keep telling me to check the back of my transcript, which doesn't even say anything about credit hours :mad:]

Are we supposed to convert units to hours? I've read that 1 semester unit is 4 hours and that 1 quarter unit is 3 hours. My school is on the quarter system so should I multiply course units X 3 to get "credit hours"??

Thanks in advance, I've been reading about how people have to resubmit to fix the conversion so I'm starting to worry about what they're really looking for here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi pinkpenguin I'm having the same problem. I've already called OptomCAS twice and they're not being very helpful :(. I'm pretty sure the person I talked to both times is the same person. First time she said it is simply the number of units my courses are (my school runs on a semester system). When I talked to her a second time, she said she's not sure since she can't see my transcript. She told me she would find out and call me back, but I don't know if I would trust her since she gave me different answers both times.

So... does anyone who has submitted the application know the answer to this? I'm trying to make sure I'm entering the correct credit hours so there won't be any delay in the application thanks!

The couple times I've called Optomcas, I've talked to the same person. To be honest, she wasn't very helpful at all!

I wish we weren't the guinea pigs of the centralized system

Members don't see this ad :)
I called OptomCAS several times today and finally got through to whom I assume is the same lady we all talk to haha

She first told me to check the back of my transcript (again), but I told her that there is no magical conversion chart on the back of mine, and finally got an answer from her to put down the "units" EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript. I clarified this with her multiply times to make sure and she kept saying to just put whatever is on the transcript. She also sternly said NOT to multiply anything.

So for now I'm going with the idea that a "unit" = "credit". Hope that's right and helps you guys out.

If anyone has already submitted their application and had to correct this issue, PLEAAASSEEE let me know if what the lady told me is right. It would be much appreciated =]

With this kind of customer service, maybe we all ought to just do whatever we feel is right, then let the folk running the system sort out the problems.

At least, before OptomCAS.org, one could apply to, say, Ferris State University, and incur no application fee; now, it's all been "standardized" into something (probably, for most applicants) much more costly.